1753873 Members
7462 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: LC3 memory selection

Malte Forkel
Occasional Contributor

LC3 memory selection

What kind of memory do I need for an LC 3 NetServer? I guess it should be PC100 ECC Registered SDRAM DIMMs. Do I really need registered memory, or will unbuffered do as well?
7 REPLIES 7
Sean T. Craig
Honored Contributor

Hi Malte,

You are correct, this server was designed to use 100MHz Registered ECC SDRAM DIMM's and here are the Part Numbers:
D6097A - 64MB
D6098A - 128MB
D6099A - 256MB

The Unbuffered RAM may work for a time but as soon as the ECC Circuitry attempts to correct an error, you will have problems.

Hope this helps,

Sean T. Craig Sr. C.E.T., M.C.P.

I am King...of my apartment.
e4services
Honored Contributor

No, that will not do. Actually, All the older Netservers are quite picky by design, through the BIOS, to what memory they have in them. Memory without the right signiture tag will cause a constant "non-HP" report and fault lights. The system will run though. You can find the D6099A (largest acceptable) sticks around pretty cheap, to get you up to 1GB.
Hot Swap Hard Drives
Sean T. Craig
Honored Contributor

Let me make one thing absolutely clear; I, under no circumstances, recommend using anything other than the supported parts listed in my previous post.

Using anything else, may or may not work. If they do work, Instant TopTools will report that they are not the correct part.

Leonard Davison
Frequent Advisor

Malte,

I have never had any success using memory "off the shelf" with the LC3's. I have on many occassions used RAM from other Netservers (LH4, LC2000 etc) to get to RAM amounts above 1GB. The others are correct however, the server will scream it's fool head off about the fact that the memory is not "supported" in the box. I have used Kingston RAM in these boxes for years with no ill affect.
Malte Forkel
Occasional Contributor

Thanks a lot all of you for your help! This was my first question in a HP forum and I'm impressed by the quality and quantity of your replies.

I'd like to summarize what I've learned so far - and ask a more specific question.

Some background information: The machine in question had been stripped of its CPU, VRM and memory a while ago. I was assured it had been running fine before, though.

Over the weekend, I tried to get the server to boot using different CPUs, VRMs and memory modules. Unfortenately, with no success. After I turn it on, there are some attempts to access the CD drive - not the floppy drive - and the screen stays blank. No BIOS or anything.

I have not been able yet to acquire some original HP memory as you recommended. Other than in the US, they seem to be rare over here in Germany, eBay at least. And shipping from the US is prohibitively expansive. So I tried an HP ECC unbuffered module and a Samsung ECC registered module. In both cases, all of the DIMM LEDs on the system board stay off. From your answers, I had hoped that I would at least get some sort of complaint.

Do you think that using the "wrong" memory modules explains the system's behavior (so I should invest in some HP memory) or that the server has a different problem (so I should start a new thread "how to reanimate a dead server").

Thanks in advance,
Malte
Sean T. Craig
Honored Contributor

Hi Malte,

It looks like there may be a different issue here. If you're not getting any POST, you should check a few other things.
1st, try booting with no RAM installed. This should give a Beep Code. It will likely be 1-3-4-1 or 1-3-4-3 which is a failure during the first 64K Base Memory. If you're not getting that beep code, then there could be a problem with your CPU, VRM or processor board.
Make sure the right parts are installed. You didn't mention which one you have so here are all the P/N's:
D6091A - PII-350MHz (Deschutes, 100MHz FSB, 512KB L2 cache, Slot 1)
D6092A - PII-400MHz (Deschutes, 100MHz FSB, 512KB L2 cache, SECC-2, Slot 1)
D7032A - PII-450MHz (Deschutes, 100MHz FSB, 512KB L2 cache, Slot 1, ECC)
D7129A - PIII-500MHz (Katmai, 100MHz FSB, 512KB L2 cache, Slot 1)
D8583A - PIII-550MHz (Katmai, 100MHz FSB, 512KB L2 cache, Slot 1)
D6123A - System Processor Board
0950-2848 - Voltage Regulator Module

Check it out and let us know what you find,

Sean T. Craig Sr. C.E.T., M.C.P.

Malte Forkel
Occasional Contributor

Hi Sean,

I'm afraid there is no beep whatsoever on power up - with or without memory.

Most of the components I used for testing were "off the shelf". For the CPU, I tried a Pentium III 550 MHz (SL37F) and a Pentium II 350 MHz (SL356), both 100 MHz FSB, 2.0V, Slot 1, SECC2. At least, I used a VRM 0950-2848 and a VRM 0950-2847, which is supposed to be compatible according to http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=216082. And I tried a HP ECC unbuffered memory module and a Samsung ECC registered memory module, both PC100.

Does that leave me with a questionable system board? I hope not...