1754016 Members
7534 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

LH 3 and Windows 2000

Rich Glauser

LH 3 and Windows 2000

I have an LH 3 netserver with two PII processors that I have upgraded to Windows 2000. I reformatted the drives and did a clean install using the ACPI HAL from windows. The LH3 worked perfectly, until I installed Windows 2000 SP 2. Now it takes 15 to 20 minutes to shut down. I have the latest bios, the latest mraid35x.sys file, the latest firmware and have run the dianostic tools. Netserver agents are not running on this machine. Top tools shows no errors. I am stumped!
7 REPLIES 7
Greg Carlson
Honored Contributor

Re: LH 3 and Windows 2000

Rich,

Does the server boot up normally? Try to identify what is running when you are shutting down the server and see if a process is not responding. Also you say NetServer Agents are not running but TopTools shows no errors.

Are you running Instant TopTools? Also one more step which you need to try is to clear CMOS and flash bios of the server. Grab the bios here:

http://h20004.www2.hp.com/soar_rnotes/bsdmatrix/matrix50448en_US.html

Ciao,
Greg
Lets Roll!
Rich Glauser

Greg,
Thanks for responding so quickly. The server boots up normally, the CPU usage is 1% when I initiate shut down. I get the windows is shutting down screen followed by a blank blue screen for 25 to 20 minutes. I don't know of a way to get to Task Manager to see what process is not responding at this point. I do have instant top tools running. I have dumped CMOS and flashed the bios. It is currently 4.06.43PL.
Greg Carlson
Honored Contributor

Greg Carlson
Honored Contributor

Rich,

Did the last suggestion help?

Thanks,
Greg
Lets Roll!
Rich Glauser

I tried both tips to no avail. The security fix was not installed, although it may be bundled in SP 3. I am now in the process of testing through sale mode to see if I can identify my problem. I will let you know.
Gbenu
Advisor

Hi,

i had this problem once and after much checks i found out it was from the network card installed. The NIC driver bundled with WIN2k is was not ok. After downloading and installing the recommended driver from the NIC manufacturer, everything then became normal.

Try removing the NIC, if the performance inproved, then try changing the NIC driver.

Good Luck.

Gbenu
Laerning is Continious, knowledge is Limitless
Terri Harris
Honored Contributor

Assuming you are using the HP D5013 Netserver 10/100TX NIC card, the correct driver is available here:

http://h20004.www2.hp.com/soar_rnotes/bsdmatrix/matrix51734en_US.html

The driver filename is e100bnt.sys (replacing the older hptxnt).