1748129 Members
3639 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

LH4r lockup during BIOS

Philip Brooks
Occasional Contributor

LH4r lockup during BIOS

my LH4r Netserver keeps freezing during the BIOS, once it finishes checking the extended RAM, it just locks up, it still responds to pressing f2 to enter setup, however it does not actually do anything, no matter when i press f2 or even if i skip the check, it still locks up.

i have tried resetting the CMOS and varios other things, any ideas?
2 REPLIES 2
e4services
Honored Contributor

Re: LH4r lockup during BIOS

Did you look inside and see if you have any blinking LEDs?
Try removing everything to start. All the cards, and down to one CPU and pair of memory, no hard drives.
But it sounds as if the CMOS has gone bad and replacing the systemboard is in order.
Hot Swap Hard Drives
Sean T. Craig
Honored Contributor

Re: LH4r lockup during BIOS

Hi Philip,

Sometimes when a hard drive stops responding, it will hang the embedded NetRAID Controller. Try pressing instead of for the BIOS. It has a few advanced options not available in and it usually goes in without doing the full POST (hopefully before bannering the NetRAID Controller. If that doesn't work, pull all the hard drives out and try again.

If that fixes it, go into M during POST for the RAID Config utility and start reseating the drives one at a time until you discover the culprit.

If pulling the drives doesn't help, strip the system down to bare minimum (no PCI cards, no Floppy, CD-ROM or Hard Drives) and reseat the I/O Cache Module.

If that doesn't work, the part number for the system board is D6970-69003 and HP offers a core-replacement on the failed unit.

Let us know how it goes,

Sean T. Craig Sr. C.E.T., M.C.P.

I am King...of my apartment.