5842 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

LHii disk craziness

C. D. Tobola
Advisor

LHii disk craziness

Here's a quick overview of the problem:

Originally I noticed that although the OS (RedHat Linux 8.0) installed and worked okay, the system seemed to hang periodically when booting up. (Appeared to be a drive problem.)

I downloaded the BIOS update for the SCSI cards (HP #D5025A) but when I ran it I got an error that read: "Status Code : 10 Unable to Find Adaptec Adapter."

Now I'm finding that the hot-swap SCSI drive that held the OS (it's a 4.2gig--all the others are 9gigs) will not verify (but I can format it)using the ECU utility. I've tried switching it into a different slot. That didn't seem to help.

System specs are listed at the end of the message.

Any suggestions on this would be appreciated.

HP LHii
384mb RAM
No NetRAID card installed.
5 - 9gig hot-swap SCSI drives
1 - 4gig hot-swap SCSI drive
1 - HP SureStore DAT24 tape drive
1 - CD-ROM drive
1 - Floppy drive
4 REPLIES 4
petr jaeger
Honored Contributor

Re: LHii disk craziness

I've had problems booting my e60 with scsi drive with rh-6.1. It worked fine with 5.x and upgrade or fresh install of the 6.x screwed the thing up. As soon as the comp got rebooted, it froze during the next boot-up.

I've fixed the problem by moving the linux to a different comp.

sorry, no big help from me.

petr
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

hi
probably you already known
-the hdd have the id assiged by the hotswapp cage, and should be 123 456 for a scsi standard connection, 103 456 for netraid connection
-the Dat24 need then to be connected on the second scsi channel
this server have two integrated scsi channel, and you spoke about a D5025A that is a external 2490 like adapter,
If you add this card you need to run ECU in order to see it in "additional card" in "View, edit detail"
-If you suspect a problem in your hdd at boot time, have a look at the leds on the disks, at boot time one led will light up, on all disk, after a few seconds, when scsi controller will show banner on the screen, it will perform a scsi check, and you will see the activity led of each disk lighting up for one second. If one disk is defective and not responding, this led will be on for a few time (few minuts ) until timeout. this disk must be replaced.
bye
marino
C. D. Tobola
Advisor

Finally took the damn thing in to the shop. SCSI adapter was shot. Thanks for the help anyway. -Cloy
e4services
Honored Contributor

My guess is that he disrupted the adapter with this attempt at Fireware Flash. THis flash is for the adapter card and NOT the Integrated controller. Just use the BIOS flash for the unit.
If you want an update, look into a 3Si or 1Si controller at e4ServicesInc. com.
Hot Swap Hard Drives