7502 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

LX 8500 server

Joseph Durnya
Occasional Advisor

LX 8500 server

Hi all,

i have a few lx 8500 servers that are running 550 mhz processors. When i try to install 700 mhz processors the server will not power up. I recieve the screen stating that the machine is ready for power on but when i do turn it on the lcd goes blank ( i physically hear it running) I have set the jumpers on the MB for 700mhz..

any help would be appreciated !!

thanks,

Joe
5 REPLIES 5
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

Re: LX 8500 server

Hello Joe,

# Verify sufficient power input (208 - 240 volts) to power supplies. Verify that at least two of the three power supply modules have green LED lights (looking at rear of server).

# Verify that the new or replacement processor is the same type, speed, and has the same L2 cache size.

# Try alternate Voltage Regulator Modules (VRM).

# Make sure system jumpers are set correctly for the speed of the processors installed.

# Check for any possible motherboard beep codes or POST error messages after removing all adapter cards and non-factory installed components. Also remove the pre-installed TopTools Remote Control Card.

# Clear CMOS system configuration via switch or jumper number 5 on the I/O board. (switch block on the HP NetServer LXr 8500.)

Regards.
Joseph Durnya
Occasional Advisor

Happy i will give it a try !

thanks,

J
e4services
Honored Contributor

Have you got the correct 700's? HP Parts or Intel only? if so 3.3V or 5V makes a BIG difference and could cause the behavior. Also the VRM configuration is different if I remember correct.
Hot Swap Hard Drives
e4services
Honored Contributor

Here is one document they may help
http://bizsupport.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/lpn11783/lpn11783.pdf

Also the Installation Manual notes a few things. No VRMs are require, sorry, my bad, was thinking LH4. All processors must match. It is not acceptable to mix processor modules with various speeds, cache sizes, and product numbers.

Changing from 1 to 3 CPUs, to a 4 CPU config things change a bit. Terminators go away and Both Cache Coherency filters must be installed. Don't know if that is your case. But then when you add a 5th CPU, the terminators are back in.

The standard configuration (4-way) only uses the first four processor slots on the
left processor carrier board mounted on the processor baseboard. The minimum
configuration only provides one processor module installed in the first slot and
terminators in all the remaining slots (3 terminators on the left and 4 terminators
in all slots on the right processor carrier).
If it helps:
http://bizsupport.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/lpn11233/lpn11233.pdf
Hot Swap Hard Drives
Joseph Durnya
Occasional Advisor

E4,

that was a great help ! the servers originally came configured with 2 550 2m chips..

i checked and there are 2 cache coherency filters.. so right now ive upgraded one of the machines with 8 550's and one of the others with 5 550's i had found a ton of 700's but it seems they are the 5 / 12 volt variety..

i notice that the 550 and below variety dont have the volts stamped on the label so i see how i could have overlooked it

again, thanks for the help !

Joe