108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: LX Pro Fan Failure Harness for 200 MHz/1MB Cache Processor Boards

SOLVED
Go to solution
Bruce Hornbostel
Occasional Contributor

LX Pro Fan Failure Harness for 200 MHz/1MB Cache Processor Boards

I'm getting a POST error 216 on an LX Pro server since we upgraded the 2 processor boards to 200 MHz/1 MB cache ones. I know that I need to add a fan failure harness to the server for these new boards. Supposedly HP part number D4966-90001 is a document containing instructions on upgrading the processor board(s), however, I can't find it anywhere. Would someone have a copy of these instructions or be able to tell me more about the harness?
3 REPLIES 3
Terri Harris
Honored Contributor

Have you seen this information?

Solution ID# IS11457

ISSUE: The HP Netserver LX Pro and LXr Pro can be upgraded to use processors that have 1 MB of cache. The original processors had 512 KB. The 512 KB processors use heatsinks, while the 1 MB processors use fans for cooling.

The old processor boards (brown capacitors) can only accept the 512 KB processors. The newer boards (purple capacitors) can accept either the 512 KB or the 1 MB chips.

When the 512 KB processors are installed on a newer processors board in the HP Netserver LX, the system will report a fan failure error or that the active/passive jumper set incorrectly. For exact error messages see below. This error occurs because the newer processor board comes jumpered by default for the 1 MB chips, which come with CPU fans.

The jumper on the processor board is at location J4B1, about in the middle of the board, can be set to active or passive. The heatsinks for the 512 KB versions use the passive setting, while the 1 MB processors use the active setting.

SOLUTION: Changing the jumper from active to passive will resolve the issue.
Possible error codes:
0225: Passive/Active Jumper may be set incorrectly
0222: CPU #x fan failure for slot #
0223: CPU #x fan failure for slot #
0216: Fan Loopback jumper missing or fan harness incorrect or fan failure

Otherwise I was not able to find any other documentation related to this issue.
Bruce Hornbostel
Occasional Contributor

Yes, I've seen that solution, but it covers using the 512KB cache processors in the newer circuit boards. It seems that an additional harness needs to be added when using the 1MB cache processors since they use active cooling.
Terri Harris
Honored Contributor
Solution

Bruce,

Email me directly at terri.harris@hp.com. I may have found the instructions you are looking for...

- Terri