1752866 Members
3630 Online
108791 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

LX Pro Memory Question

Joe Short
Super Advisor

LX Pro Memory Question

I have an old Netserver LX Pro. It currently has only 128MB of RAM, I would like to add more RAM but it uses ECC and it is a little costly for such an old server. Is there some way to turn off ECC so I can use stantard RAM?
4 REPLIES 4
Dave Unverhau_1
Honored Contributor

Re: LX Pro Memory Question

Joe,

Sorry for the long delay in replying, but just noticed this post (probably because your null response popped it back up near the top...good idea!).

Anyway, I used to support these servers, and my recollection is that the memory controller used on this system board implemented ECC by combining the parity bits of each bank of SIMMs. I just reviewed the service manual, but there's no mention of parity vs. non-parity memory. All the memory part numbers listed for it are for parity SIMMS.

The memory controller needed 60NS memory, and I think it only worked with banks of 32, 64, or 128MB SIMMs. These must be installed in banks of four SIMMs of the same size.

I don't have an LX Pro to play with, but you might have success installing just non-parity SIMMs. (My thinking is that if it doesn't find *any* parity bits, the controller might shift into non-ecc mode, but I'm just guessing here...) Again, you'll probably need to use 32, 64, or 128MB SIMMs.

Also, take a look at the EISA config utility. Is there a setting in there for ECC or parity checking?

Please post back any success or failure info you have.

Best Regards,

Dave
Romans 8:28
Joe Short
Super Advisor

Dave,

I have tried that already myself, I installed
my 128MB SIMMs, and did not have any success, however, I may have fudged something up, so I'll give it another shot. I have also searched the EISA config utility, also with no success. I was hoping there might be a jumper on the MoBo that could be set, or something like that.
roc1
Occasional Advisor

Hello,
I know this would not exactly answer your question, but I bought another 128MB ECC from eBay almost for nothing. You do not need to buy memory from HP. I used one from Siemens and it works fine. Just don't forget to buy a muliple of 4 boards.
Hope this helps.
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

http://h200005.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/lpn11699/lpn11699.pdf

here you can have an overview on how to insert the memory bank, following the rule is a must, or the memory will never been acceded

also here is a source of doc, including service manual for all the netservers:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DocumentIndex.jsp?contentType=SupportManual&locale=en_US&docIndexId=179911&taskId=135&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=50440

marino