5859 Online
108796 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

NT4 to W2k upgrade w/Netraid 1M

Harald Bilke
Occasional Advisor

NT4 to W2k upgrade w/Netraid 1M

Hello out there!

I'm in duty upgrading a Netserver w/NetRaid 1M controler from NT4 (domaincontroler) to W2k. As of M$ I should do an in place upgrade of the machine. But winnt32 complains about the installed SCSI/NetRaid driver.

I know that the box will work with W2k (have another one w/same config that is already installed w/W2k).

Are ther any updated drivers for the NetRaid 1M so that W2k won't complain?
Any other hints welcome.

Read you

H. Bilke
2 REPLIES 2
Theo Hill_1
Honored Contributor

Re: NT4 to W2k upgrade w/Netraid 1M

http://www.hp.com/cposupport/swindexes/hpnetraid130106_swen.html

Here is all the updates available for the 1m controller. Upgrading from NT4 to Win2k is not supported, but if it has any chance of working, when the you need to make sure you specify the controller driver when it prompts you for it. Win2k is not as obvious as NT when asking for mass storage drivers. During a normal install of Win2k, at the very beginning it prompts you to hit F6 to install the drivers, I would imagine the same thing would occur in an update.
Mark Medici
Advisor

Re: NT4 to W2k upgrade w/Netraid 1M

Harald:

The recommended procedure (as taught by Microsoft) to upgrade to a Windows 2000 domain is:

dc1 = current domain controller
dc2 = new temporary domain controller
dc3 = new temporary domain controller

dc2 and dc3 do not need to be server-class systems, as long as you can load WinNT4 and Win2k on them. The more "plain vanilla" the better.

1. Fresh install WinNT4 on dc2 as a bdc (through SP6a and current hotfixes). Apply SYSKEY if that's your standard.

2. Fresh install WinNT4 on dc3 as a bdc (same as above).

3. Promote dc3 to Pdc. Wait for complete domain sync to complete.

4. Promote dc2 to Pdc. Wait for complete domain sync to complete.

5. Power-down dc3 and keep off-line as a roll-back dc. If your Win2k upgrade goes bad, you can shut-down dc2, bring-up dc3, reboot everyone and be back in business.

6. Upgrade dc2 to Win2k server. Finish creating your Win2k domain. Test thoroughly, including login/logout, user add/delete, computer add/delete.

7. Fresh install Win2k now on dc1. Use the drivers from the current NetServer Navigator. dcpromo to domain controller.

8. Use dcpromo to demote dc2 back to a member server. This will move the 5 master roles over to dc1. Test thoroughly (as in #6).

9. Wipe dc2 -- no longer needed (unless you want a 2nd dc, which is recommended).

10. After a week of testing, wipe dc3.