1752786 Members
5887 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: NetRaid Won't Rebuild

Dan Whittle
Advisor

NetRaid Won't Rebuild

I have one drive out of 3 failed in a RAID 5 / NetServer LC3. They are D6019A drives. I tried to replace it with a D4289A. Answers to my previous post thought this might work. I tried two of these drives, and the rebuild goes to 20% then ERROR. It seems funny that both drives stop at 20%. Do I need to format the drive, or something, before rebuild? These are just ebay drives that I'm popping in.
Thanks for any help.
2 REPLIES 2
irontech
Occasional Contributor

I facing the same problem before. And the actual error was from the other drive.

Go Netraid assitant, Object, Physical, check every drive properties, this is to check the Device Media/Other error. If found, just change that drive.
Alicia White
Esteemed Contributor

While this problem could be caused by another bad drive in the array, it is also likely that it might be caused by problems with the array's parity.

Have you been running consistency checks on a regular basis to make sure the array parity is "consistent"?

Here's a document describing the importance of consistency checks:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=tis10236&locale=en_US

Also check out the Consistency Check FAQ at:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=lpn13668&locale=en_US

But, in your situation with a degraded array, a consistency check would probably cause much more damage than it would fix since one drive has failed.

But, whether or not this rebuild failure is caused by another drive or by problems with parity: you probably will not be able to rebuild your array.

But, there is one thing you can try. Try updating firmware on the drives and controller and then try the rebuild again. It can't hurt and it might help you rebuild the array.

If that doesn't work, your only option will be to get a complete backup of your data and test that backup. Then, do a low-level format of the drives and restore your data.

Alicia