108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

NetServer E60 (D7142T) Processor Upgrade

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jon Hannah

NetServer E60 (D7142T) Processor Upgrade

Hello,
I recently acquired a HP NetServer E60 (Model D7142T) and I have been looking into upgrading the processors in it. It came with a Pentium II 400MHz chip. I was hoping to upgrade to something in the range of 600-700MHz (x2) but the 600E and 700MHz Pentium III chips I have been trying both yield a Microcode update BIOS error. Based on what I read on this site, it is possible to go as high as 700MHz with the E60. I have updated the BIOS to v4.06.26 (PN) but there is no change. Is there something I am missing? If these chips will not work, which will? Thank you for your time.

-- Jon
5 REPLIES 5
Sean T. Craig
Honored Contributor

Re: NetServer E60 (D7142T) Processor Upgrade

Hi Jon,

There appears to be some conflicting information as to the highest supported processor speed for this server. The product page says 550MHz, HP's Partsurfer page shows up to 600MHz and the discontinued parts list shows a part number for a 650MHz. I even found an HP document that shows the DIP switch setting for 700MHz processors but could not locate a part number for it. Here's what I did find:
D6092A - 400MHz - 1-1-0-1
D7032A - 450MHz - 0-1-0-1
D7129A - 500MHz - 1-0-0-1
D8583A - 550MHz - 0-0-0-1
D9132A - 600MHz - 1-1-1-0
P1134A - 650MHz - 0-1-1-0
700MHz - 1-0-1-0
The numbers at the end are the DIP Switch settings for switches 5-6-7-8 respectively.

When you replace your processors and set your CPU speed, you need to re-flash the BIOS (it doesn't matter if you already have the latest one) and then clear the CMOS and reload default values. Switch 4 will clear the CMOS but you need to start the server with the switch in the ON position and watch for the message telling you to move it back. To reload defaults, go into the BIOS , and press then save and exit.

Hope this helps,

Sean T. Craig Sr. C.E.T., M.C.P.

P.S. Please encourage participation in the forums by assigning points rating the value of the responses.
I am King...of my apartment.
Jon Hannah

Thanks for the quick reply, Sean. I tried your suggestions but seem to be getting the same error. That is, the ├в Missing microcode update├в . I├в m not sure I understand this error but it seems that the BIOS contains a microcode update for the processors and attempts to apply this (via CMOS) on boot up. It also seems the microcode repository is updated when you update the BIOS.

So, the only differences I see between the original processor and the one I am using now are: the clock rate (of course), the VCore, the L2 size, and the core. The processor I have been trying is a 700MHz Pentium III (Coppermine core) which has an L2 of only 256KiB and operates at 1.65 volts. The original processor is a Katmai core which has 512KiB of L2 and operates at 2.0 volts. All of the Katmai processors have 512KiB of L2 and most (except the 600MHz model) operate at 2.0 volts. However, the highest clock rate I can find reference of is a 600MHz. At first, I thought it might be the L2 size or VCore causing this problem but, it seems the P1134A is a Pentium III 650MHz Coppermine chip with 256KiB of L2 and (most likely) running at 1.65 volts.

Today I will try some tests with a 600MHz Coppermine chip I have around and see if I can get rid of this error. If you have any suggestions or details about this error, please post back. Thanks again for the help.

-- Jon Hannah
Jon Hannah

I have tried the same thing with a Pentium III 600MHz (changed the DIP switch and all) with no difference. I still get the 0B00-0A 'Missing Microcode Update data block for Microprocessor' code on boot up. However, the processor appears to function correctly. I'm starting to feel stumped.

-- Jon
Joe1234
Solution

The Netserver E60 does NOT support Coppermine cored Pentium 3's. You need to source Katamai cored chips with 512k cache and 2.0V core. Currently I am running my E60 with 2 x 600MHz P3's (Katamai Core) without any problems. There is some conflicting information on what the maximum CPU speed is available for this server but given that itel only produced the Katamai core up to 600MHz (SL3JM and SL3JT) that is the real limit.
http://processorfinder.intel.com/List.aspx?ProcFam=25&sSpec=&OrdCode=

Hope it helps.
Jon Hannah

That was exactly the information I was looking for. Thank you.

-- Jon