1753786 Members
7639 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

NetServer LH II few problems pls do reply

root_6
Advisor

NetServer LH II few problems pls do reply

1. is ther any other way to access setup(bios) other than using ECU(eisa configuration utility) like in other servers we can do it by F2 or F8 or using del key?
2. how can i replace the scsi-50 pin cdrom with ide-cdrom so that i can boot from it
when i use ide-cdrom with ide controler it dont detects it at boot time ..when XP,2k loads then it shows ide-cdrom as another cdrom attached..
3.how can i reset to factory default setting of bios
pls explain the 8 jumper settings i cant understand about
1.Flash write enable
2.boot block disable
3.config valid
4.config unlock
6.SMI # enable
7.I/O control enable
12 REPLIES 12
Martin Breidenbach
Honored Contributor

Re: NetServer LH II few problems pls do reply

Re 1.: No. ECU is too large to fit into BIOS ROM. You can run ECU from system partition (if installed and accessible), Navigator cd or floppy disk.

Re 2.: AFAIK you can't - the BIOS doesn't support booting from IDE cdroms (not 100% sure)

Re 3.: switch off system, flip switch 3 (config valid), switch on system, wait for error message, switch off systen, flip switch 3 back
Terri Harris
Honored Contributor

If you do not have any documentation on this server, use the following HP web page for manuals & other technical resources:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DocumentIndex.jsp?contentType=SupportManual&locale=en_US&docIndexId=179911&taskId=101&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=50452

Note: For the service manuals, see Volume 2 of the Netserver Service Handbook. The LH II is most like the LH Plus & LH Pro.
Michael Lashinsky
Occasional Advisor

I have a Netserver LH Plus. I am trying to set it up and reconfigure it as a teaching tool. (It is currently running WinNT 4.0 in a raid 5.) It will not boot to the floopy or the CD. I need to change the boot order but I need to access the bios. The bios is accessed through the floppy or cd drives. The way to set it up is to boot from the CD that came with it. Any suggestions?
Terri Harris
Honored Contributor

Since the older L-series Netservers do depend on the ECU software program to access the BIOS setup, the server must be able to boot from either the floppy drive or the CD-ROM. Is the original SCSI CD-ROM installed in this server? Can you confirm the floppy or CD-ROM actually works? Are you sure this is a boot order problem?
One suggestion is to clear CMOS, this will clear the BIOS setup. The system switch to do this on the LH Plus is # 3 (Config Valid). #3 is one of 8 system switches all in the same bank. Move switch to opposite position. Power server on, you should see a configuration error (I am assuming there are no POST errors otherwise). Power off and move switch back. Boot from disk or NAV CD.
Michael Lashinsky
Occasional Advisor

You are the Man! That got things moving. Thank you for the quick reply. There are still problems though. I am getting post error codes 1919 and 0202. It also gives me a message that there is no bootable scsi device, after saying it found a bootable CD. It finally gives me a message that says to Press F1 to boot from utility partition or put CD in and press reset, (The CD was already in.) This poor old thing has issues! (In answer to your previous questions, the floppy and CD both worked after booting up to NT 4.0.)

I was able to rebuild the raid, and now I am trying to load Win'2K server on it. I would like to get the post errors to go away, but if I can use it with the errors, I would settle for that. It will only be for a student network to study on. (Technically, I do not even need a real server, I could load server on an old PC, but I have the hardware sitting around, and if it doesn't do this job, it will be bound for the dump. I hate disposing of running hardware.)
Terri Harris
Honored Contributor

The POST errors you have referenced indicate possible problem with keyboard/mouse, or simply that the BIOS is not being read properly. You have already run the ECU BIOS program, so you may have to live with these errors since I assume KB & mouse are working. Good work.
Michael Lashinsky
Occasional Advisor

I am new to this forum. What is with the points? Do I give you points? (If this were eBay, I would leave positive feedback. If you were a friend or co-worker, I would buy you a beer.) What am I supposed to do now?
Terri Harris
Honored Contributor

Assigning points in the HP ITRC forums is essentially the same as leaving positive feedback. The point system is explained in detail here:

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/helptips.do?#33

Here is the specific info on how to assign points:

Only the question author can assign points to a given response. If you submit a question or new topic and another member replies to it, you will see a dropdown menu of points next to the reply (you must be logged in to see the menu). Select the point value and then click the "submit points" button. Note that you can rate multiple replies and submit them at one time.

Since "root" is the actual author (orginator) of this posting, only he/she can assign posts. Cheers!
Michael Lashinsky
Occasional Advisor

If you are ever in the Reading, PA area, the offer for a beer is good. Have a good day.