Netservers
1753716 Members
4826 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: NetServer LH Pro - Windows 2003 Installation Hangs

Scott Hope_2

NetServer LH Pro - Windows 2003 Installation Hangs

I'm trying to install Windows 2003 server on an old LH Pro we have. If I completely delete the disk array the installation proceeds but eventually tells me there are no drives. If I configure the array the server hangs at "Setup is inspecting your hardware configuration..."
Anyone have any ideas of what I should do?

Thanks
Scott
5 REPLIES 5
e4services
Honored Contributor

Have you install drivers for the disk array subsystem? You may need to add drives from 2000 or the subsystem may be unusable by 2003 and will need to be replaced with a new controller. Adaptec makes some fairly inexpensive solutions depending on the array configuration requirements
Hot Swap Hard Drives
Michael Parker_6

I am having the exact same problem as Scott is. And I know that all my disk array drivers are installed.

But every windows disk I have does the same thing as Scott's on my LH Pro. It just hangs when it gets to the "Setup is inspecting your hardware configuration"

It does the same thing when I boot from floppies in Windows 2000 Pro and run setup.

Are there updated drivers for the Adaptec cards that can solve this issue?

Michael Parker

Alf Solbu

I haven't tried this on Win 2003 but it worked on W2K Advanced Server so it should work for you as well.

Skip step 1 & 2 if array and logical disks already done.

1.Build array(If not built)
2.Initiate logical disks(if not done)
3.Start server with a w98 startdisk.
4.Run FDISK and make FAT partitions.
5.Restart server(W98 disk)
6.Format disks (FAT)
7.Start installation from CD(Drive:\i386\winnt.exe)
8.Remove diskette and CD when prompted to restart.
9.When server boots do NOT press F6.Follow instructions on screen...preferably install on FAT and convert to NTFS after installation.

Hope this helps.
Brgds
Alf Solbu
Michael Parker_6

There really is only a few solutions to this issue.

The reason the server hangs is because it cannot recognize the Raid Array. This is a know issue as many people have the exact same problem on the exact same server.

One solution:
Boot from the Windows XP Boot Disks that are available at http://support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?kbid=310994

Install windows xp then reinstall a fresh version of whatever flavor of Windows Server 2003 you wish. Time consuming but it works.

Please Note that there is no flavor of Windows Server 2003 that will recognize and utilize the older Dual Pentium Pro's. I have tried everything I can think of with no luck. But windows XP does recognize and utilize the Dual Pent. Pro's.

The other way is to install another IDE Hard Drive in the server. Change the bios settings to boot from the IDE Drive and the server will boot from a CD and install any os you want. You will however have to hit the F6 key to add 3rd party drivers and install the Raid driver for the SCSI drives when prompted.

Hope this helps

Michael
Jeroen_27

Same problem here. I made a dual raid5 configuration with logical disk c en d. After i booted from win2003 cd. I started the install. on c: .The 2003 installation copies all the files and than needs a reboot. After the reboot the HP Pro says: no bootable scsi devices found. When I disable the bios i can startup with a win98 disk and than i can reach the c and d drive. It tried everything I could but noway to install 2003. Gonne start now to instal98 or xp and than upgrade to win2003 with a clean install. Done things like this before. For example once a IBM site told that because of a system board error it was not possible to install WinNT on a pc520. With installing win98 and than upgrading to NT i had a the most stabile server for a year i ecer saw... :-) Thisis going to take a long time again with this HP LX Pro but i am notgoing to stop before win2003 is running at it.