Netservers
1753767 Members
5475 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Netserver E45/E50 USB

Craig Meshon

Netserver E45/E50 USB

I have a E45 Netserver running Windows XP which I am having no problems with the OS. The problem I am having is the USB ports on the back of the server are not responding and do not show up in Control Panel. Has anyone been able to fix this issue???

Thanks, Craig
5 REPLIES 5
Greg Carlson
Honored Contributor

Craig,

There is no USB support on the E45 or E50. I don't think the USB is even configured on those servers at the hardware level. I'm actually quite surprised that XP is running on that server. The fact that the USB is not showing up in the control panel shows that the USB is not configured on the E45/50.

Ciao,
Greg
Lets Roll!
Craig Meshon

XP is running great. The USB ports on the back of the server were covered with a plastic cover. I guess I am just suprised that they are there and not supported. Do you think there is a jumper or something to enable them??

Thanks, Craig
Greg Carlson
Honored Contributor

Craig,

They covered the USB because they were not configured or set up for HP. HP oem'd the system board and the USB connectors were already hardwired. Best solution would be a PCI USB controller.

Ciao,
Greg
Lets Roll!
Falcon_3
Occasional Contributor

Confused...

Its a litle bit funny. HP builds an Servermainboard with USB thats not work. Why have HP the Ports Dissabled?? I think it is stupid.. ;-)
Terri Harris
Honored Contributor

Actually HP OEM'd this system board, so this is the way it came. It included USB ports but no USB controllers. At the time of this Netserver model release (quite a few years ago now) there were very few USB devices and no way of knowing that USB was going to take off.