1753718 Members
5888 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Netserver E60 : CPU Usage always minimum 50 % under W2K

Ferenc KORBULY

Netserver E60 : CPU Usage always minimum 50 % under W2K

Hi,

I've installed a Netserver E60 with W2K (Pro + Server) as part of some testing.
It's dual processored 500 MHz + 191 Mo Memory.
BIOS : 4.06.26N

After installation process, I've checked the 'Task Manager' to make sure that all two processors were detected.

I bumped on a strange behaviour : the CPU usage always show 50% minimum, even if there is nothing that run.
Checking the 'System usage', it shows that the system is running at 50%, but on process window the 'System idle' is at 50%.

I thought it is because of the dual processor, but I've tried it with only one and same behaviour occurred.

This behaviour occurred with W2K Pro and/or* W2K Server, with one or two processors.
(*:each system alone or both installed on disks), with/without MS SP3 + criticals updates.

Did anyone see this behaviour before ?
Thanks in advance for any help ...
10 REPLIES 10
Greg Carlson
Honored Contributor

Ferenc,

Check in Start->Programs for NetServer Agents
If you have this as an option then post the version and then perform the Uninstall and be sure to remove all shared files. Old NetServer Agents can cause CPU utilization.

Also if your system idle is showing 50% usage.. what is using the remaining 50%?

Ciao,
Greg
Lets Roll!
Ferenc KORBULY

Hi Greg,

I'm sorry I've made a mistake.
THe 'System Idle' shows 99% when CPU usage is 50% ;o) ... oops

Thank for your quick answer. I will check for Netserver Agents, but I don't think i've installed any because my W2K come from MSDN and I've installed nothing from HP Support.

Regards,
Fran??ois.
Greg Carlson
Honored Contributor

Ferenc,

NetServer Agents can be installed without you knowing it if the NOS had been installed with an automated install off the Navigator CD.

If System Idle is at 99% then that shows you should be operating normally. Is one of your CPU's Still showing 50% utilization?

Thanks,
Greg
Lets Roll!
Ferenc KORBULY

Hi Greg,

I didn't use the Navigator CD and installed no NOS, and didn't use a HP Recovery CD.
I've installed W2K from a MS CD (taken from MSDN).

Here is a screenshot of 'Task Manager' (W2K Pro).
As you can see 'System Idle' is 99%,
and 'CPU Usage' is 44%.

I can assure you that nothing is requiring the processor except something I can't find or detect.
Is there a tool able to detect what is using processor time but not 'Task Manager' ?

Regards,
Ferenc.
Ferenc KORBULY

Greg,

Here is the second screenshot taken from the 'Performance' tab of 'Task Manager'

Ferenc.
Greg Carlson
Honored Contributor

Ferenc,

If you swap your primary and secondary CPU, does the usage follow the CPU? Also are any applications running?

If it follows the CPU then you may have a CPU issue. If it doesn't follow the CPU then try to clear CMOS and Flash Bios. I see that you are at the latest BIOS 4.06.26PN. I would try to clear CMOS with switch 5 on the system board and then re-flash the bios which you can download here.

http://h20004.www2.hp.com/soar_rnotes/bsdmatrix/matrix45937en_US.html

Ciao,
Greg
Lets Roll!
Stoney A Seawell
Occasional Contributor

What process is consuming the 50%? Under task manager you can select the cpu tab and it should sort the actuall process by use. Find the process and go from there.
Stoney A Seawell
Occasional Contributor

Nevermind I missed the screenshots.
Ferenc KORBULY

Greg,

Here is what I've done yesterday :
- Swapping the CPUs : still CPU2 is used at more than it should be.
- I've reverted to a Single processor system,
and tested it with both CPU, one after the other. The CPU usage is more than 60% in that case, with 'Idle' at 99%.
(I think dual system is better if I can't find a solution ;o) ...)
- I've cleared CMOS and re-flash the BIOS with 4.06.26N version. No change.

By the way, while working on the E60, I've found a little glued label in the computer case with "Prototype, not for resale". I didn't remarked it till yesterday.
Maybe, that is my problem ...
But some others servers in my Test Lab are prototypes and I never had any problem with them.

Still wondering ....

Ferenc.