1753882 Members
7328 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Netserver E60

Roeseler
Occasional Contributor

Netserver E60

My Netserver is very loud, the fans are working properly. How can i regulate the fans?
4 REPLIES 4
Greg Carlson
Honored Contributor

Re: Netserver E60

Roeseler,

Servers are designed to stay cool and were not designed to be a quiet workstation. You risk heat damage to the server if you lessen the air flow.

Ciao,
Greg
Lets Roll!
Roeseler
Occasional Contributor

Yes, i know, but listen once to a compaq server ...
and that server has an utility, where i can regulate ...
Andrew Bessant

Here's what we did to one of our clients E60's to help keep the noise down.

1) Clean the fan fins - this can be done while the server is running by careful use of an air-duster can (and face mask!). Or of you can shut the system down, a small paint brush - depending on your skill level, it's not to hard to remove both fans to give them a really good clean.

and

2) For the processor fan and small peice of paper (the same width of the fan and about 1.75 times the length) was held in place via the black plastic rivits so it arcs away from the case forcing the air to be ejected to the sides of the casing. This stoped a lot of the "wind" noise. - You may need to play with the amount of arcing to get maximum air flow before the noise picks up again.

Hope this helps...
Brian Peters
Frequent Advisor

Hello,

On the early models of the e60 the fans were very load. So, HP changed the fan to a quieter type. I recommend replacing the fan. Part number D7140-63018.