New Discussion юеВ

Re: Netserver E800 always beeping

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jiri Taborsky
Advisor

Netserver E800 always beeping

Hi

I am having a HP NETSERVER E800 with Netware 5.1. Server is running, but always beeping a few days (one_second beep every two seconds).

I couldn't down and restart server now and solve problem.

i don't know what was the cause of the panic (maybe overheating).
Have you any idea, how fix this problem?

regards

JT
9 REPLIES 9
e4services
Honored Contributor

RAID controller? Failed disk error? Just a quess
Hot Swap Hard Drives
Sean T. Craig
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Jiri,

It sounds like the NetRAID Alarm going off to let you know that there is a failed drive in the array. You can download MegaManager from this link:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=329290&prodSeriesId=51930&prodNameId=62488&swEnvOID=1011&swLang=13&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=ns-12646-1

Extract the files and copy them to a floppy disk. Then you can load Megamgr.nlm from the floppy drive and access the arrays from there. It looks almost identical to the BIOS level utility.

Choose Objects-->Physical Drive and it will tell you if there are any failed hard drives.

If you want to disable the alarm, there will be an "Alarm Control" menu either under Management or under Objects-->Adapter (depending on the model of NetRAID card).

Let us know what you found and we'll continue from there.

Good Luck,

Sean T. Craig Sr. C.E.T., M.C.P.

P.S. Don't forget to say thank-you with points.
I am King...of my apartment.
Jiri Taborsky
Advisor

Hi Sean,

Good shot! One disk in raid5 is marked as FAILED.

Could I try "Rebuild" array with this "bad" disk without any risk?

JT
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

The "beep" want to remind you to replace the bad disk. Don't try to rebuild on the bad disk! This won't toggle the disk from bad to good ;-)

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Jiri Taborsky
Advisor

Has somebody any expirience with combination:

netserver e800 +NetRaid-1M and disk 332751-B21 (HP 72GB, 10k, ultrawide, non hot swap)?

Compatibity matrix for current disks (36, 72, 143 GB)and netserver e800+NetRaid1-M?

I need replace old 18GB(P1167A) disk. The same disk is too expensive.

Thanks

JT

Sean T. Craig
Honored Contributor

Hi Jiri,

Sorry it took so long to get back to you; I'm just back from holidays.

You absolutely CAN attempt a rebuild. Rebuilding the drive does NOT toggle the drive from failed to online, it is a different menu option that will do that.

If the drive says "Failed" it does not mean that the drive is bad. The drive may be bad but that's not what a failed status means. If the drive is reported failed, it is an indication of a logical failure in the array, not a physical failure. If the drive is, in fact, bad, the rebuild will fail.

You should also check the properties of the online drives for the presence of media errors. If an online drive has media errors, the rebuild will likely fail.

Media errors are often correctable but we can cross that bridge if and when we come to it. Try the rebuild for now and let us know how it goes.

Best of luck,

Jiri Taborsky
Advisor

I changed bad disk by new (ST373207LW - size 73GB), rebuild passed off and logical drives are in OPTIMAL state.

I would exchange the rest two drives(18GB) in RAID5 for 73GB models now. And create new logical volume in new free space.

What is the best scenario?
1)Add new disk, mark it as hotspare, mark any 18GB disk as FAIL and rebuild
2)mark any 18GB disk as FAIL, change marked disk for new, rebuild
3)any other?

Thanks Jiri
Sean T. Craig
Honored Contributor

Hi Jiri,

Here's what you need to do:
1. Fail one of the remaining 18GB drives and then down the server and replace it with a 73GB drive.

2. Bring the server back up and go into M and rebuild the drive you just replaced.

3. When that's done, repeat the process with the remaining 18GB drive.

4. When the final rebuild is done, go into Configure-->View/Add/Delete Configuration and it will detect a new logical drive.

5. Accept the changes and exit the utility. Netware will now see unused space that can be used to create a new volume.

Let us know how it works out for you,

Jiri Taborsky
Advisor

Many thanx for all answers.

I changed all three disks subsequently. Now is all OK.

I see a space for new logical drive (and netware partition).

Jiri