Netservers
1745925 Members
4238 Online
108723 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Netserver LC3 starting problem

Blake Weston

Netserver LC3 starting problem

Ive pulled out a LC3 in the hope of using it as a proxy server but i cant get it to boot. I reattached the two ultra wide scsi hds and the computer powers up but nothing on the screen appears, the activity lights on the hds turn off after a couple of seconds, and the activity light of the cdrom stays on and wont open. I have tried with only one hd connected with the cable terminated at the HS bay. This has me really stumped and i spoke to the former Admin and he says it was running when removed it from the network. Also i have left it running for over half an hour and no change occurs. If anyone has any ideas, please share them. Thanks
5 REPLIES 5
Sean T. Craig
Honored Contributor

Re: Netserver LC3 starting problem

Hi Blake,

The first step to troubleshooting no POST, no video is to get video.

Start by stripping the server down to the bare minimum configuration required for POST. This means 1 CPU, 1 stick of RAM, No hard drives, CDROM, Floppy or PCI Cards.

If you still have no video, pull out that last stick of RAM and see if you get a beep code indicating a RAM Failure. I'm not sure the exact code (probably 1-3-4-1 or 1-3-4-3) but there is a list of them here:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=tis11430&locale=en_US

If you get the beep code, try a different stick of RAM. If there is still no video and no beep, then you probably have a bad system board.

If you remove the RAM and there is NO beep code, it is more than likely a bad processor. If it is a dual-CPU system, try the secondary processor in the primary slot. Same symptom indicates it is likely a problem with the processor board.

Now, if, after stripping the server down, you do get video, start replacing components one at a time until the symptom returns.

Outside of all this troubleshooting, you still want to start with the basics; i.e. make sure the monitor is working, make sure the processor board is properly seated, etc.

Give these steps a try and let us know how it goes.

Good luck,

Sean T. Craig Sr. C.E.T., M.C.P.
I am King...of my apartment.
Blake Weston

No joy. The system has no ram installed, and no hd, cdroms etc connected and no POST error codes. I tried both processors in the primary slot with each VMS module, and all it does is indicate that it has power. This seems really strange. I have read a few times that the Netserver LC3 has been known to take a Very long time to boot when some execution code is stuck in the processor (flushing problem). Im getting to the point of throwing the system as this now seems to be a major fault.
Sean T. Craig
Honored Contributor

Hi Blake,

Doesn't look good. In all likelyhood, it is probably the processor board. The P/N is D6123-69000. There is also a small chance it is the BIOS ROM Chip (P/N D6123-60001) or an even smaller chance that it is the system board itself (D6123-69001). You might be able to get a whole server by bidding on one at an online auction, or you can probably find the parts at any of several online parts stores.

Best of luck to you,

Sean T. Craig Sr. C.E.T., M.C.P.

I am King...of my apartment.
william_161
Advisor

Hi Blake

I had to same problem a while back ago and all i did was to look at the error codes on the control pannel and do a NOS memory dump.. If your control panel doesnt work change it like i did and all fine. Also i changed the memory .. See theard that was posted b4

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=947499

will
daniel69

Hi
I have same problem and solve it changing D6123-60007 board or the power supply.