1752795 Members
5705 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Netserver LX Pro fan failure

Robert_133

Netserver LX Pro fan failure

Hi there,

I have recently got a HP Netserver LX Pro with dual pentium pro processor board. The unit was having power problems when I got it, but I have had it working yesterday. And now I suddenly get fan failures on boot.

When I try to start the server, I can hear the fans spinning up. I checked all the visible fans and they seem to work. But still the led on the front indicating the fans shows up red. It keeps powering up, shows the red light, powers down, and powers up again.

Now I've been searching for a solution, and I think I have found it. It seems that there are 2 kinds of processor boards for this system. One WITH and one WITHOUT fans on the processors. I have the one without the fans. I think my system checks whether the fans on the processor are working (and I have none) so it fails the test and powers down.

On one page I saw a solution, regarding active/passive cooling on the processor. There is a jumper on the system board (I don't know if it's the system board or the processor board) that controls this feature. It should be jumper J4B1. This problem seems to be common when you replace your processor board, or when you remove it and add it again.

Now my problem is; I can't find this jumper. Not on the system board nor on the processor board. Has anyone had this problem also, or does anyone know a solution for this problem? Many thanks for the one that can help me, or even for reading this whole post :)