1753966 Members
7551 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Netserver and tape backup

Dale Brown_1
Occasional Contributor

Netserver and tape backup

I would like to install an HP Colorado 8GB Internal Travan tape drive, into a HP NetServer LC 3. (This server was previously upgraded, HP D6135A LCII to LC3,upgrade kit installed). The original Product Number is D5970-60200 /D5970A, and S/N US82300839. I am running Windows2000 Server with Service Pack 2. Will this work? I've got a the CD-Rom drive and the tape drive on an IDE cable connected to the server board connection, and it doesn't seem to see the the tape drive... The BIOS sees the CD-rom as well as 'Device Manager'. Does it need to be set as 'Master'? Will a controller card work? What can be done?
2 REPLIES 2
Terri Harris
Honored Contributor

Since HP did not test any IDE devices in the Netserver LC3 (except for the CD-ROM), I do not know if you can get a IDE tape drive to work. SCSI tape drives are supported.
If you have not already, you might want to try disconnecting the CD-ROM and have only the tape drive connected via IDE. Again, I do not know if you can get this to work or not.
Nicholas Stolar
Advisor

Dale, I have an NetServer LD that I set up with a PCI/IDE card to boot Linux from that drive. I had a problem reading from the system IDE cable also.