1753946 Members
7665 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Non-Hp SCSI disks / Netserver lh pro

unreal33
Occasional Contributor

Non-Hp SCSI disks / Netserver lh pro

I have been tinkering with a pair of 10k rpm SCA drives, tring to get them to work with my Netserver. I am wondering if there is a proprietary pin out for Hp SCSI Disks (when using the 80 pin hotswap cage)

-I have also tryed running the hotswapable cage off of my Adaptec 3940au wd (pci) with no success.

-There is the chance that the drives could be toast, but I'm unsure.

Thank you
2 REPLIES 2
e4services
Honored Contributor

Could be a couple of things.

Of course the drive do not have to be HP, in all but one application, and there is nothing proprietary as to the pin outs, standard 80pin SCA. THe one exception is the original NetRAID controller. Here HP, int heir infinate wisdom, has the firmware look for particular HD firmware. In this case we suggest that you replace the controller, it is old anyway.
Otherwise the onboard controller is just an adaptec controller and will respond as any standard SCSI controller, even to the external cage. So it could be the drives are not fuctioning or configured incorrectly. But the good news is that drives are cheap right now.
Hot Swap Hard Drives
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

hi,
the hotswapp cage of the starfish one is only SE, so you need to force your HD in SE mode,(there is a jumper that allow this)
marino