Netservers
1748202 Members
3025 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Physical drives on HP 6000r Netsever

Mark Ogonji

Physical drives on HP 6000r Netsever

During a recent routine maitenance, the drives were removed.The machine is configured with RAID 5.

Now I am unable to get the sequence right. Anybody with an idea on how to do this without losing data?
8 REPLIES 8
Tomas Lofgren
Advisor

Re: Physical drives on HP 6000r Netsever

Hi,

Can you explain a little more on what was done? If you only take the drives out when the server is down then you can put them back in any order using the same slots as previously.The Netraid controller can handle that,it uses something called "drive roaming".The raid config along with what scsi id's the drives have is stored on both controller and a 1mb partition on each drive.During boot the controller checks all drives to see if anything has changed between what is stored on the controller and the drives.If the drives has switched places the controller will see that and change it's config according to the new scsi id's and continue to boot.

Cheers
Mark Ogonji

During bootup it could get the OS. That's when I suspected may be the primary disk could not be seen because of the sequence. Otherwise there was no prior problem.

When I access the config. utility, the physical devices are shown and indicate ready, while the logical drives do not exist.

Mark Ogonji

During bootup it could not get the OS. That's when I suspected may be the primary disk could not be seen because of the sequence. Otherwise there was no prior problem.

When I access the config. utility, the physical devices are shown and indicate ready, while the logical drives do not exist.

Tomas Lofgren
Advisor

Do you have any idea in what slots the drives where and in which order? If you do know which drive where in which slot and you also remember how the raid5 was configured,most common is default values on stripe size etc then there might be a chance of getting system back.Just put the drives in the correct slots and create a radi5 again and save the config.Do NOT initialize the raid since then you will definitely loose the data.How many drives are there? You can keep on creating the raid and trying the drives in different order until you get the correct order as long as you don't initialize the raid.

Mark

Did you patch your system against e.g. Sasser ?

We seem to have a similar problem and it seems that all LH6000 with dynamic disks are effected.
Tomas Lofgren
Advisor

Was the problem solved or do you need anything else?

Tomas
Mark Ogonji

I detected that the Server had already been initialised thereby destroying data. So I re-installed and recovered from my backup.

Mark

We believe that some LH6000 has problem when being patched with latest MS patches( e.g against sasser ). We have lot's of LH6000.
You said you were doing routine maintenance,
were you applying MS patches ?
Your experience could really help us confirm our suspicion.

Thank you.
JOachim