1753987 Members
4270 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Poltergeist LH3000

NotAGuruYet
Advisor

Poltergeist LH3000

I've just got a LH3000 and installed Fedora 6 on it (with relative ease). The machine is still being configured so it is only on ocassionally.
Now here's the spooky bit. At 12:04 every day it turns it self on.
Any body got any idea how to clear this 'feature'.
Stop making excuses, start making progress
5 REPLIES 5
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

Re: Poltergeist LH3000

First check the BIOS settings. Some servers can be configured to start up automatically at a specified time. The Wake-on-LAN setting might also cause this, but usually it requires another computer that is specifically configured to send a "wake-up" packet targeted specifically to this machine.

The strangest "computer powering itself on" cases I've heard about have happened when there is a power spike or a dip. Apparently the EMI filtering components of the power supply may lose some effectiveness as they get older. Sometimes a sharp spike/dip can leak through the power supply circuits to the power control circuit. If there is some heavy machinery on your site that always starts up at 12:04, this just might be the cause.

MK
MK
NotAGuruYet
Advisor

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I've checked the BIOS (F2 during start up) and there is no facility to make such a setting in there. I'm also pretty sure our pawer supply is clean. I've read that there is a automatic start after reset feature but I've no idea how to access this. The manual just says that Netserver Assistant on the CD has details. Unfortuneately I dont have the CD. Any other suggestions?

PS do you know how to clear the event log.
Andrew Rutter
Honored Contributor

hi,

you can view or clear out the event log in two ways,

Download the eventlog utility or the diagtools from Hp's site and run them.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=19611&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=50440&swLang=13&taskId=135&swEnvOID=54

these are both bootable floppies and give you the chance to view in more detail than the front panel.

As to the "spooky feature" you could always clear the cmos? or set the bios to defaults to try

Andy
NotAGuruYet
Advisor

Many thanks for the hints and suggestions. Got the floppies and sorted the event log.

I cleared the CMOS (switch 5 on that bank of DIP switches near the cpus), still switches on at 12:04. Clearly there is a bit of code resident on a bit of non volatile memory. Does anyone know where that may be and how to clear it
NotAGuruYet
Advisor

Update.

Dissconnected the Netraid back up battery. Cleared the CMOS (switch 5), formatted all the drives. Left it unplugged for 24 hours. Plugged it in and it booted up!!.
Shut it down but left it plugged in. 12:04 boots up. Help anyone please!!!!!