Netservers
1748154 Members
3539 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Replacing clock battery in Netserver LH Pro

M Creasman

Replacing clock battery in Netserver LH Pro

I have inherited an old Netserver LH Pro which is losing time badly. I am going to replace the clock battery, but the info says that I should save the configuration file to a disk.

Not being familiar with this server, how would one go about doing that?

I assume that this is so that when the battery is replaced, you can reload the config data into the CMOS, is this a straight-forward process?

Any/all help is appreciated.
6 REPLIES 6
TTr
Honored Contributor

Why do you think that replacing the battery would fix the clock. In general, the battery on the motherboard keeps the clock running and maintains the CMOS settings when the power is off. (that's why you need to save the CMOS settings). Unless you know otherwise, replacing the battery might not help the clock problem. Outside this, you may want to look into a clock syncing method such as NTP or windows time service (simple NTP) or even a scheduled job that sets the time on a periodic basis.
M Creasman

Server is running an OLD version of Netware, client has had this server running forever and it has always been great at keeping time.

Now it can lose almost 30 minutes in the course of 1 weekend. You can watch it lose time right after synching it with a time source.

Would this not point to the battery as the cause of this?
TTr
Honored Contributor

Like I said, unless you know otherwise, I think the battery does not run the clock when the power is on. It is possible that the clock module itself is gone bad.

This thread has links to a service guide and surprisingly the guide is still there. If you look at page 76 and on, the server uses an external battery pack.

http://forums.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/questionanswer.do?threadId=1028883
M Creasman

Thanks for the input. Back to the original topic, how does one save the configuration file to a disk and then restore that data?

I cannot find a clock module listed as a replaceable part, do you know if this exists, or would it require a complete system board replacement?

TTr
Honored Contributor

See if there is an HP utility that may have come with the server that saves the bios settings to a file. There is mention of freeware ones as well. Otherwise you have to go through each bios screen and write down all settings or the ones that were changed from the default values. I have also read that a local paraller printer can print each bios screen by using the printscreen key, yes it works at the bios level. To restore the settings, if there is no HP utility I would do it manually, I would not trust any freeware program. (By the way don't be confused by utilities that save the entire CMOS contents, they actually copy the entire cmos code ie. the firmware to a file)

Apparently the clock module for the LH is embedded on the motherboard. One of the smaller models (LC?, see the service guide) has a removable clock/cmos module.
Andrew Rutter
Honored Contributor

hi,

with the lhpros's and early servers you had to boot a floppy disk to get to the bios utility, called the ECU

open the cover of the server and you should see the floppy disk in an envelope. boot this disk and there is an option to save the configuration.

failing that you can boot the very early navigator cd's and do it this way

Andy