1752753 Members
4672 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: SCO Unix 5.0.5 sendmail errors

Mike Willour
Occasional Advisor

SCO Unix 5.0.5 sendmail errors

Every AM I check the root mail and check through scoadmin whether any links are broken. Several links are typically broken, IE sendmail, execmail, rmail, scomail, and mail.
I am thinking about reinstalling a portion of the ver 505 install, specifically the SCO sendmail portion.
Will there be any problem with deleting that section within scoadmin and then go into install mode and copy it in fresh from the installation CD. I haven't tried a "portion install" and I wouldn't want to delete that section first and then find myself in a worse position.
This AM /var/opt/K/SCO/SendMail/8.8.8b/spool/mail/root had 7562181 bytes, dated May 30, and /var/spool/mail/root had 211861 bytes, dated June 2,2002. After I fixed the links, both files had the 7562181 bytes dated May 30 and the current mail was deleted.

thanks
4 REPLIES 4
Greg Carlson
Honored Contributor

Mike,

Any time that you are looking to do either a partial install or a recovery type install it is normally recommended to do a fresh install of the NOS. That being said with Sco and Linux there shouldn't be any issues with reinstalling those apps.

Ciao,
Greg
Lets Roll!
Mike Willour
Occasional Advisor

FULL INSTALL ?
ouch, I am assuming that will not effect whatever parameters that are already set in the kernel? I don't know what all makes up the mail portion of the kernel, but if a full install would keep the current character of the server intact, hardware devices etc then I could see doing a FULL INSTALL !
seems drastic.
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor

Mike,

Check your crontab entries and make sure they aren't deleting "old" files (your links).

Is it time for linux?

live free or die
harry
Live Free or Die
Stuart Browne
Honored Contributor

So you're using Custom's little thingie to verify links..

Don't bother. That thing has enough holes in it to sink ships.

If there are some obvious link problems, feel free to fix them manually. In things like this one you've listed however, I wouldn't be concerned at all.

Befor eyou even consider reinstalling any portion of the SCO OS, you'll need to check which patches and supplements are currently installed:

customquery listpaches | head -1

After you've done this, you need to roll back all of these that affect sendmail (RS505A, possibly a few of the SSE's if you've installed them too), and then remove/re-add sendmail.

I advise against this. There's probably nothing wrong with the Sendmail installation. If you are happy enough with the way things look with the current broken-state of some of the links (beleive me, you should be. You have to break a few of those links in order to satisfy/work around a few other minor issues!), then just re-generate custom's verification map. (see 'man custom', and the '-w' flag).

Personally, I'd reccomend you just ignore those you can live with. *looks at his mail* 14 currently broken on that system over there.
One long-haired git at your service...