Netservers
1748169 Members
4188 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Symantec Ghost on LPr and LH3

Chris Baldwin

Symantec Ghost on LPr and LH3

I am tring to use Ghost Enterprise 7.0 to Ghost and Win 2K image off of an LPr with a NetRAID 1si controller onto an LH3 with an imbedded NetRAID controller. Everything on the systems appears to be the same minus the netraid (I am using the unified drivers).. however, when I put the sysprepped image into the LH3, I get the usual "startup" ticker bar...then...right before the splash screen would normally appear..the LH3 will reboot. Any ideas?
2 REPLIES 2
Collin Freeman

I would be surprised if it will even be possible to pull this off. According to the Sysprep specs, it shouldn't because the two machines don't have identical HAL's, which is required for successful sysprep cloning. I'm actually surprised that you didn't get a STOP error for unrecognized boot device. However if this does work, let us know how you pulled it off.
Chris Baldwin

I did finally come up with a solution. With sysprep 1.1, you can have different HAL's and boot devices..(according to microsoft...but I couldn't get it to work). So, here's what finally worked (although, not a great solution..)

Make the image on the disk. In this case, and LPr to an LH3. Only diff in these systems was really the RAID board. Put the image in the cage, configure the array just like it was on the LPr. Put in the Windows 2000 Server boot CD.. ( I know, I know :-) ). Continue like you are going to do a new install, only select the option to repair the found version of Windows. That process takes about 5 mins. Reboot.. and the mini-setup wizard takes over, everything comes up great. Apps still there, everything like it should be. Had to re-apply SP2.

So, all in all, the process took about 10 mins more than it would if I had been able to use the Ghosted sysprepped image from the get go. Considering how long it takes to configure all the apps..it at least was a time savings...

still hunting for a better solution.