New Discussion юеВ

Re: VRM version for LXR 8000

SOLVED
Go to solution
Leif_9
Occasional Advisor

VRM version for LXR 8000

My LXR 8000 uses VRM 8.3 with 12V in.

Expanding with more CPU's, can I use VRM's of version VRM 8.3/VRM 8.4 with 5V or 12V in? CPU's will be identical to existing ones. Can I just plug in the new VRM's or do I have to manually change some jumper settings?

Thanks and cheers
7 REPLIES 7
e4services
Honored Contributor

You do not have the Operations manual for the server? That would help. But if you are not changing the CPU speed, you can just add the CPUs. As for the OS, Windows, if installed when there was only a sigle cpu, will require some work to get the Multi-cpu core installed
Hot Swap Hard Drives

Hi,

For using two CPU's with different speed in this unit... the jumper settings need to be done.

When the HP NetServer LXr 8000 is configured with multiple processors, all the processors must have the same frequency,
stepping, and cache size.

When you install an additional processor, you must also install one or more
additional voltage regulator modules (VRMs) on the CPU baseboard. Also, insert an additional voltage regulator module in VRM slot 4.

NOTE:
VRM slots 5 and 6 are in a narrow space between the processor cage and the side of the chassis. For easier access to these slots, you can temporarily remove the adjacent wall of the processor cage. Unfasten the two screws which hold the
wall in place, and then lift the wall out. Be sure to reattach the processor cage wall after you install the VRMs.

Regards,
PP
Leif_9
Occasional Advisor

My question was not well put.

I am running W2k Prof with 2 identical CPU's and 4 identical VRM's HP P/N 0950-2847, VRM 8.3.

I will change to W2k Server and add 2 CPU's identical to existing 2 CPU's (for total 4 CPU's), and also add 2 VRM's for VRM slots 5 & 6.

My question is: Can I use any VRM as long as it is one stamped with VRM 8.3, or VRM 8.3/VRM 8.4?

E.g. can I use a HP P/N 0950-3633 VRM 8.3/VRM 8.4?

Thanks again
Sean T. Craig
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Leif,
If all the VRM's have the same part number you should be able to use both. One thing to mention, though, is that you will need 6 VRM's. There are 2 Cache VRM's (Cache 1/2 & Cache 3/4) that should be installed no matter how many CPU's you are running. Then you need one Core VRM for each CPU. Core 3 & 4 are on the opposite side of the CPU's from Core 1 & 2 and the 2 Cache VRM's.

Hope this helps,

Sean T. Craig Sr. C.E.T., M.C.P.

I am King...of my apartment.
Leif_9
Occasional Advisor

Excellent. Now I how to muster the courage to do it.

Thank you all.
Sean T. Craig
Honored Contributor

Hey Leif,

One other thing you should make sure of is the stepping levels of the CPU's. If you have Instant TopTools installed, go to the configuration tab and look at the Processor Info. It will list the Type, Speed & Stepping. Then swap out to the other 2 CPU's and do the same thing. I have seen several posts on these forums saying that they have to be the same stepping. This is not entirely true but they can only be 1 step apart from each other.

Let us know how it goes,

Sean T. Craig Sr. C.E.T., M.C.P.

I am King...of my apartment.
Leif_9
Occasional Advisor

It took a while but now it is done. Went perfect. Thanks again for your support.

Cheers