Netservers
1753867 Members
7511 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

What should I expect when upgrading NetServer LH3Rs processors?

SOLVED
Go to solution
John Musbach
Regular Advisor

What should I expect when upgrading NetServer LH3Rs processors?

Hi, I've got a dual PentiumIII 500MHz HP NetServer LH3R and am looking to upgrade its processors, however I'd like to know what to expect such as, what's the fastest PentiumIII the NetServer LH3R can handle (1GHz?)? I've heard that for some models the processors cannot be anymore then one stepping different, is this true for the LH3R as well? I've noticed that a lot of the faster processors, especially some of the 900-1GHz PentiumIII ones have fans on their heatsinks and thus need to be plugged in to a power plug...is there two of those near the processor area? (one for each processor?) Other then that it seems fairly straightforward to do the upgrade...1) take off top cover 2) pull out the mobo 3) take out the old processors 4) put in the new ones 5) change the processor switches to reflect the new processors according to the chart that should be on the mobo according to the manual 6) put the mobo back in the server, put the cover back on, update the BIOS if not done already and I should be set (but please let me know if I forgot anything or got any of these steps wrong)...thanks in advance for the help, it's greatly appreciated! :-)
3 REPLIES 3
e4services
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: What should I expect when upgrading NetServer LH3Rs processors?

John, unfortunately you are at the top end of the LH3's CPU limits now. The Netserver Chipset only supports the PIII/550 and not the -e- series that when to 1GHz.
So the CPU switches only go to 550 support (5.5 multipier for the 100MHz bus)
Intel has no non-supported step code matches.
HP Netservers do not use CPU fans, but a specially designed, larger Heatsink to hold the cpu in the housing and large fans on the housing.
Hot Swap Hard Drives
John Musbach
Regular Advisor

Oh, well thanks for letting me know...should still be fine for hosting my own website so I guess I'll llet it go at that and if I need more power (for doing my own hosting business) then I'll buy a more powerful model, thanks for the reply! :)
John Musbach
Regular Advisor

e4services solved my issue :)