1752355 Members
5839 Online
108787 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

What type memory for Netraid in LX Pro?

Mark_102
Occasional Contributor

What type memory for Netraid in LX Pro?

I have an LX Pro with a NetRaid Array controller. It only has one memory slot filled (one empty) and with memory so cheap, I would like to max-out the board.

Can anyone point me to a document that tells the max memory, and also exactly what type of SIMM is compatible?

And then do I have to run any utility to help it find and use the new memory, or just turn it on an go?

Thanks in advance

Mark
6 REPLIES 6
Greg Carlson
Honored Contributor

Re: What type memory for Netraid in LX Pro?

Mark,

I don't believe that the Classic NetRaid supported more than 4MB of Cache Memory.

Ciao,
Greg
Lets Roll!
Greg Carlson
Honored Contributor

Sorry Mark for the erronous response.. They have already hashed this issue on this forum: http://forums.itrc.hp.com/cm/QuestionAnswer/1,,0x8e8a06295e00d6118ff40090279cd0f9,00.html

Ciao,
Greg
Lets Roll!
Greg Carlson
Honored Contributor

John Borders
Advisor

Mark,
I used standard SIMMS with these specs:
Size 16 MB
Pin Count 72-pin
Access Time 70 Ns
Maximum capacity: 2 by 16Meg

I plugged them in, rebooted, and the controller automatically recognized them. No configuration required!

Respectfully, John
John Borders
Advisor

Correction for my last: Gibbo's post (Dont throw away your Netraid card when you switch to Win2k!!!) and my searching for 3Si memory on HP's Parts Surfer has coughed up the following:
Use EDO memory. Up to 128Megs are supported (64 in each slot). the 3Si is actually a AMI Megaraid Ultra 428 that's been OEM'd to HP (Thanks Gib!). I'm going to upgrade my cache now from 32 to 128!
John Borders
Advisor

Even more info (from the Megaraid Ultra 428 site): Memory
Q1: What kind and size of cache memory configurations can I use with the 428?

A1: 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128 MB - x36(parity) - 50/60/70 ns - 72 pin - Single-Sided Fast Page Mode SIMMS. X32 (non-parity) SIMMS are not supported or guaranteed to work with the 428. Reference page 37 of the old PCI RAID controller hardware manual, and page 57 of the current one.

Q2: Can I use any brand of memory with the 428?

A2: No. The only makes or brands confirmed for the 428 are PNY, SEC, Tanisys, Micron Technologies, Advantage, Unigen, and Centon.