Netservers
1753947 Members
7468 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Will I lose Config? What type of RAM?

Gibbon
Occasional Contributor

Will I lose Config? What type of RAM?

Will I lose my RAID confiuration if I remove the battery on my NetRaid card?

I want to up the RAM on the card. What kind of RAM do I have to use, will any SIMM's do?
4 REPLIES 4
Alicia White
Esteemed Contributor

The battery on the NetRAID card has nothing to do with your config. The config is stored in the card's NVRAM (non-volatile RAM).

The battery's only purpose is to preserve any un-written data in the card's cache in case of a power outage. Then, when the power comes back on, the card can write any data still in the cache to the hard drives. This will minimize the risk of corrupted data in the event of a sudden power loss.

Which card are you interested in upgrading? Does it have a removable RAM? (not all of them do)

The "M" series NetRAID adapters aren't upgradeable.

But, some of the older HP NetRAID controllers are. The original HP NetRAID, the NetRAID-1 and NetRAID 3si are all upgradeable.

Search for the part number of your NetRAID controller on:

http://partsurfer.hp.com

Then, click on "list all parts" button to find if there is memory available for your controller.

Alicia
Gibbon
Occasional Contributor

I have just a standard NetRaid card with 4MB RAM @ the mo, I want to stick some more in there, any Idea if just any old SIMM's will do?

Thanks for the reply by the way!!

Gib
Alicia White
Esteemed Contributor

For the original HP NetRAID (PN: D4943A), you can upgrade up to 32MB of RAM using 2 16MB SIMMs.

HP only supports using HP RAM for their NetRAID cards, but this 16MB SIMM is 70ns, if that helps. The part number for the 16MB SIMM is: D6029A.

You can try searching for the part on:

www.pricewatch.com

www.google.com

You might be able to get cheaper prices online.
Gibbon
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the pointers, I have stuck 2x4mb in for now.

Thanks again.