Netservers
1748158 Members
4225 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: improtant news for CPU-upgrade for all Netserver / error 0B00 / BIOS modification

thockar
Advisor

improtant news for CPU-upgrade for all Netserver / error 0B00 / BIOS modification

Hi all,

I've found a solution, to make any possible CPU-upgrade on a HP Netserver. The upgrade must be possible by the system (DIPs... Bus... Slot ..Speed .....) and the BIOS by it self, only the unsupported stepping code of the CPU will be solved. So you will not get the BIOS message 0B00 !
> there are a lot of steppings of PII (and all other INTEL CPU's)
0650 <-
but only some of them are supported by HP - BIOS.

I've found a way to add the right INTEL - errata - code to the BIOS binary.

It is a long way to go - but it works.

To know what stepping your CPU has, run the attached file in DOS with the new CPU - ignore the BIOS message 0B00 pressing F1.
To help you I need the number of the CPU stepping code and the original binary of your BIOS.

send a mail to Thomas.Eckardt@thockar.com

Thomas

3 REPLIES 3
thockar
Advisor

Re: improtant news for CPU-upgrade for all Netserver / error 0B00 / BIOS modification

Hi all,

for more information look to this link

http://thockar.dyndns.org/bios/index.html

Thomas
John_686

Hi,

Just to let readers know that I have successfully upgraded my old E60 to use dual 850MHz/256L2cache processors by using Thomas' errata replacement method. It is not for the faint of heart because you have to carefully patch a copy of the bios file but it DOES work.

So, if you want to upgrade your processors but find that the last bios produced for the E60 (A.06.26PN) doesn't provide support for the CPU (often resulting in a boot error that requires you to press F1) then it may well be possible to rectify this through Thomas' method. Send him a message as he requests.

Thanks to Thomas for figuring this out!

John Callender
Alex Wichman

Hi Thomas, I realize it's been more than 2 years since you posted here about this, but I've just rexently upgraded an old HP Netserver E60 from a single P2 @ 450MHz to dual P3's @ 650MHz. Of course, I now get the infamous 0B00 Missing Microcode error and have to hit F1 every time it boots. I really want to use this machine as a server, so until I can fix that it's impossible to admin remotely.

I ran the utility and got this:

This system has a Genuine Intel Pentium(R) II processor
Processor Family: 6
Model: 8
Stepping: 3

Please note I did run it with the two P3's in place, so I don't understand why it's showing P2. I hope you still come around here, and if so, please let me know if you can help.