5947 Online
108798 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Deleting non-existing volume group

Saulius_1
Frequent Advisor

Deleting non-existing volume group

Hi,

During testing I've created volume group vg01 on HP NAS8000 using GUI. This vg contained LUN1 from VA7400 disk array. Array was connected using SAN. After tests, NAS was shut down, array was replaced with another one, LUN1 was assigned to other server, etc.
Then we remembered NAS, and powered it on. After I go to the GUI section Volume Groups - java crashes with error like "Volume group does not exists" and refuses to go into the volume management. When I try to issue getStorageVolumegroupList using CLI - it shows that volume group I've created. When I try to delete it using deleteStorageVolumegroup - CLI says, that this group does not exists, even if I paste output of getlist to the deletegroup.
Someone has any ideas ?
5 REPLIES 5
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

Re: Deleting non-existing volume group

I have an idea... NAS8000, when installing, creates some LUNs and writes some info to them. So if you use this system and reconfig it NAS8000 server can be a little confised... Like in your case. I remember my colleague solved this issue by a) getting to VA by serial port and cleaning it and b) re-installing NAS8000 image to the server. I'm not sure about (b). You should try (a) with NAS8000 turned off, and then turn it on. I believe it may start recreating everything needed on the VA. If not, then cold NAS8000 server installation will be needed. I think you can find installation image on the CD supplied with NAS8000 product
Good luck!
Eugeny
Saulius_1
Frequent Advisor

The main problem is, that VA is used for general purpose. I mean NAS is for small boxes which require bunch of gigabytes (bigger ones have FC HBA's and use VA directly). Thus NAS is one of array clients and owns one LUN. It has no control on VA (like in direct attach case). So after power on it did nothing with VA.

BTW you have mentioned installation CD. I can't remember, but it seems, that HP guy did initial installation using some software, which he took with him. Is it possible to get this software somehow. Can you ask your colleague. I mean I can't find NAS OS installation anywhere.

Saulius
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

If you bought NAS8000 you should use it as NAS8000. If you do not need NAS8000 then you would buy stanalone VA. It is assumed that only NAS8000 server can manage VA (others may access, but this one manages). Check this one http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Product.jsp?locale=en_US&prodTypeId=12169&prodSubCatId=82178 . If you'll not find CD call HP and ask for installation image (patches are available on the web)
Eugeny
Saulius_1
Frequent Advisor

Actually I'm not very familiar with SAN/NAS. Our system was purchased like swiss nife solution. Actually it already works like it right now. Everything is OK, but I am surprised with NAS8000 unflexible nature. Managers say that in can manage lots of different disk arrays blablabla. And now I can't make it work like I want.

Sau
P.S. I found the solution, I've restored system head from first backup, which was done when NAS8000 was installed in our site without any SAN connections
Vincent Fleming
Honored Contributor

It sounds like you confused the LVM on the NAS8000 by removing the array without first deleting the vg.

You should have been able to clean up the lvm configuration manually - but I'm not sure how that's done as I'm not all that familiar with the lvm implementation on Linux. It should be very similar to how it's done on HP-UX.

No matter where you go, there you are.