108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: EX490 Recovery Disc

SOLVED
Go to solution
CsCavity

Hi everyone,

If anyone's still watching this thread, I'm having some issues. I had been using an HP EX495 server to backup several computers. At some point it went down, but luckily the computers backing up to it are all still fine. But I'd like to start the server running again so I can continue backing up.

I downloaded your files (thank you very much!) and burned the ServerRecoverydisk to a dvd using ImgBurn. I started a computer in safe mode, changed its IP address, and connected a network cable directly to the server.

However, when I run the recovery software (WHSRecovery, right?), I get an error that says "Failed to copy server boot files". No other windows open, and seemingly nothing else runs. Can anyone give me some guidance here?

Thank you,

- Matt

TomHayesMP
Frequent Advisor

I've compiled all my notes and ISO images for the three CD's distributed with the server on my Google Drive account.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0BzRIeI12rXCDNXNlWFdzY29JYm8&usp=sharing

The ZIP file has all the info about reloading the OS on the server. In case you need to start with a blank HD in the server, it works better to install the HD in your PC, either internally or via a USB adapter and clear all formatting from the drive. Let the server reformat it.

Tom

scaddude
Frequent Visitor

Hi guys, I hope this thread is still being followed.

Thank you to TomHayesMP for posting the recovery CDs!

So, I'm in the process of getting my 495 up and running again. The stock drive went kaput, so I installed a new 4TB WD Red drive. I did the recovery and then started the process of installing the software.

As soon as the recovery completes and the server restarts, I wait until the lights start breathing and fire up the installation. When it starts looking for the server, it can't find it. I've tried a few times, and even tried manually finding the server, and no go. The recovery worked, so apparently it found the server, but I can't get beyond this part. All the server lights are breathing blue. The indicators, the light over the hard drive...

If anyone can help me out with this, I'd appreciate it.  Thanks!

TomHayesMP
Frequent Advisor

Did you re-install the software on the PC? In attempting to do that, is this where the PC cannot find the server?

Is HDCP turned on in your Internet router? The instructions I'd posted on Dropbox about restoring the server to factory defaults requires your setting your computer to a fixed IP address. Once the server is "all blue" you should set your PC back to "Obtain IP address automatically" in the network connections. When you reboot the server it should get an IP address from your router. You can log onto your router to see the devices it found and the IP address it assigned.

Tom

TomHayesMP
Frequent Advisor

Whoops. I moved the installation instructions to Google Drive from Dropbox at the link in an earlier post.

Tom

scaddude
Frequent Visitor

Hi Tom,

I did as the instructions directed. 

Using a laptop, running Windows 7, I rebooted into safe mode. I set the IP address to the fixed address. I ran the recovery disc and it looks like it succeeded.

Following the instructions, I hit Next and it rebooted the server. I waited until the the lights on the server (all of them, the three indicators at the bottom, and the light over the hard drive) started to breath blue. I ran the software installation disc, and it attempted to look for the server, but it says the wizard cannot find the server. This is where I get stuck. I tried this on my desktop, and then I am now trying it on a laptop.

Out of curiosity, I removed the hdd and attached it to an external dock, and I checked to see the status of the drive. It created a 20GB partition called SYS. Everything looked to be installed in that. I was unable to access the remaining partition and thus could not reformat the drive. But, it seemed that the recovery disk did install the system files.

scaddude
Frequent Visitor

Wait...

Nevermind... 

I misunderstood and never reattached the server to the network normally.

Things are running now. Thank you.

TomHayesMP
Frequent Advisor

Well, all's well that ends well.

Tom

VoicesFYC
Advisor

I see Tom is still doing a Better job than us :D

TOM ..don't forget i still have the Images up in my Google Drive in Case ya Need them :)

and let me say this Before i forget....Happy Hollidays to Everyone if I Don't hear from All :)

If Anyone Needs to Find Me..i'm Facebooking now :D

www.facebook.com/Voices.FYC   :)

Daniel.

unsmartserver

hi I tried the download the recovery disk and it failed. did you remove the link?
will please read post it. I have an ex 490 that I need to reset the pasword.
thank you