Network Attached Storage (NAS) - Enterprise
1753840 Members
8649 Online
108806 Solutions
New Discussion

Implementing NAS B3000

Ann Wiggins

Implementing NAS B3000

I am about to implement a NAS b3000 on my network. My network uses NTSE and I have had problems before, trying to connect a Windows 2000 server to the domain as the 2000 NTSE compatibility kit is required on the domain controller. Will I need to install Windows 2000 SE on the NAS device or does it not require it as it will not authenticate with anything on the domain ?

Also will the NAS be added like any other peripheral on the domain such as a server or pc ? IE the device needs to be put in the domain in order to work ?

My second concern is over backup - is it better to install Arcserve 2000 / Brightstor on the NAS device or to use the built in capability of Windows 2000.

Thanks

Thanks
1 REPLY 1
Vincent Fleming
Honored Contributor

Re: Implementing NAS B3000

The NAS device comes with the compatibility kit.

As for participating in the domain, that depends on your security model. Most people use User Level Security, which requires that the NAS device be a Server in the Domain. You can set it up to use Share Level Secutity and it would not have to participate in the domain.

As for backup - I think Microsoft's backup software stinks, so I think you should install something better. I assume you're using Arcserve in your other machines, so I would suggest using that if you can.

Good luck,

Vince
No matter where you go, there you are.