4996 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion

NAS 1000s Network Redundancy

MC1903
Regular Advisor

NAS 1000s Network Redundancy

Hi,

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to configure the network cards on the NAS 1000s as either a â fail-over on faultâ or 'EtherChannel' team?

M
7 REPLIES 7
Kevin Harlan
Valued Contributor

Re: NAS 1000s Network Redundancy

There is no NIC teaming driver for the 1000S. The NIC teaming driver development team would need to write a driver for the NICs on the 1000S, because this driver does not exist today.
MC1903
Regular Advisor

Kevin,

Do you know if this box is based on a standard ProLiant server? I ask this as it looks DL380 ish.

If it is, which NIC vendor are HP using - Intel or Broadcom and which chipset?

Many Thanks

Martin
Kevin Harlan
Valued Contributor

The 1000s is *not* a ProLiant server. Hence, the CIM agents, the NIC teaming agents, and other such software does not work with this platform. That is why this functionality is not present.

The NIC chipset is the same Broadcom NIC that is included in the DL380G3.
MC1903
Regular Advisor

Thank you Kevin!

I accept the 1000s is aimed at the entry level NAS market, but I do not understand why HP would release a network attached storage device without any redundant network capabilities.

This feature is now a fundamental requirement in todayâ s networking environment.

BTW - Do you know if this product has been taken from another vendor and rebadged as HP or if it is a 'new HP' development?

Does anyone from HP StorageWorks care to comment?

Mart
Kevin Harlan
Valued Contributor

The server is provided by a third-party company (Quanta), and is not directly from HP.

Because it is not an HP-produced product, the NIC teaming drivers were not written for this product. Time-to-market and the fact that only a small percentage of customers in the low-end space are actually teaming their NICs, we decided to proceed to-market with the existing configuration.
MC1903
Regular Advisor

Kevin,

Do you know if there are any plans to introduce this feature in a future software release?

Once again, thanks for your help on this, but I think I will avoid the NAS 1000s and look at other options.

Cheers

Martin

P.S. Are you an HP employee or just very well informed (If you don't mind me asking)?
Kevin Harlan
Valued Contributor

The request has been made to the NIC teaming driver development team, and a work item has been submitted. However, that development team has a lot of other, higher-priority tasks on their plate (such as writing drivers for new generations of ProLiant servers that are currently in development, etc.).

Due to the lower priority of this request, and the much higher priority of competing requests, do not expect the NIC teaming driver development for the 1000S platform to begin anytime in the near future.

(FYI - I work for HP as a senior engineer on the HP Windows NAS team. I started with the Windows NAS team with pre-merger Compaq from the very beginning -- N2400 days -- and have continued with this team all the way up to the present day.)