1748285 Members
3831 Online
108761 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

NAS 1200 USB support

Eric van Uden
Occasional Contributor

NAS 1200 USB support

The NAS 1200 specs mention two USB ports.
Are these USB 2.0?
If not, would a PCI USB 2.0 extension card be supported and would any card do?

Any assistance appreciated.
2 REPLIES 2
Jason Dinsdale
Frequent Advisor

Re: NAS 1200 USB support

We have the NAS 1200s 360gb variety; yes, they're USB2.0, *but* only USB keyboard, mouse, and DVD drives (for Quick recovery) is supported, and I'm pretty sure that you cant install add-on PCI cards anyway.

We tried to plug in and use a USB hard drive (with it's own power, not even using USB power) and the server blue-screened...

Bummer.

Jason
If a man talks in a forest and there is no woman to hear, is he still wrong?
Eric van Uden
Occasional Contributor

Re: NAS 1200 USB support

Thanks for reply, Jason.

No relief for me, then, so it seems.

By a vendor I was told that an HP employee stated that the 1200s uses USB 1.1, but written confirmation couldn't be obtained.

The restriction of supported USB devices baffles me. I think it defeats the purpose of USB. And I have read that external USB DVD-drive support is thin as well. Only one (HP) DVD-drive is mentioned on the HP webpages. There being no list of other supported devices, I'm afraid it's plug and pray with any other drive...

I was hoping to use the new Iomega USB 2.0 Rev drive as a back up drive to the NAS 1200s (360GB).

I can imagine plugging on an extra harddrive might throw the system, with RAID in place and all, but then the Iomega drive might prove to do the same.

I'm starting to think I'll be stuck with a tapedrive again. A proven, but 'legacy' solution, if you ask me.