Network Attached Storage (NAS) - Enterprise
1748216 Members
3582 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

NAS 1200's 640GB won't boot up after power failure.

Vicentiu Maxim_1
Occasional Contributor

NAS 1200's 640GB won't boot up after power failure.

Hi everyone.
Here's my problem:
NAS 1200's 640GB (Windows 2003 Server Appliance Edition) connected to a APC SMART-UPS 750 with USB cable...
1.Power fails.
2.NAS is shutting down.
3.SMART-UPS is shutting down too.
4.Power restored.
5.SMART-UPS is booting.
6.NAS 1200's won't boot at all.

I have tested this SMART-UPS 750 with a HP lc2000r (Windows NT4.0 Server) and is working fine.
Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
Vicentiu.
4 REPLIES 4
Greg Carlson
Honored Contributor

Re: NAS 1200's 640GB won't boot up after power failure.

Vicentiu,

There are no replaceable parts on that system other than the hard drives, everything else is a core box replacement. Have you tried to open the box and just try to reseat the power cable to the system board? Try a new cable from NAS to wall? Did you have a safe shutdown or did you have a brownout? It sounds like a bad power supply to me and would require a corebox replacement.

Ciao,
Greg
Lets Roll!
Vicentiu Maxim_1
Occasional Contributor

Hey Greg,

The power cable is ok. I have tested this UPS on another server (HP lc2000r - Windows NT4.0 Server) and it's working fine.
There are connected to the UPS only the NAS and an external backup tape (HP StorageWorks Ultrium 460).
Last week, on friday, power failed for couple hours, during my working time... Here are details:
8:30 - Power failed.
8:30 - UPS switched to batteries.
8:45 - NAS started to shut down.
9:14 - UPS turned itself off.
10:45 - Power restored.
10:45 - Immediately UPS started to boot.
NAS continued to stay off.

This is the problem. NAS won't boot up after restoring power.
Also I have another case:
8:30 - Power failed.
8:30 - UPS switched to batteries.
8:45 - NAS started to shut down.
8:50 - Power restored.
8:50 - UPS goes online.
NAS continued to stay off.
Jon Paul
Trusted Contributor

Hi Vicentiu,

Q: Are you expecting the NAS server to automatically re-start after power is restored?

I have had difficulty dealing with the bezel on the 1200s. The buttons don't always line up perfectly. Try removing the bezel and pressing the power button directly on the MB.

Bezel is the front faceplate. It exposes the drives.

Another thing to check is the LED on the power supply. If the box is receiving power and the power supply is at least partially OK the green LED on the back of the power supply should be blinking.
Vicentiu Maxim_1
Occasional Contributor

Hello Paul,

Sorry for getting back here so late but in the meantime I got a new version of UPS management software (APC Powerchute Business Edition - Standard version for max. 5 nodes). The software allows to shut down the NAS without powering off. I made a screen shot and attached here. I haven't tested this option yet but I hope that next week I'll make the tests and tell you if it's ok or not.
Thank you very much for the advice.

Vicentiu.