108807 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

NAS9000/NFS CDE Login error

Antonio F. de Lima Jr._1
Occasional Advisor

NAS9000/NFS CDE Login error

Hello.

I am with a problem in one nas9000.
It this configured to sharing the home directory of the unix users.
When an user makes xlogon (CDE login) for the second time one msg of error is presented.
MSG: the files .TTauthority and .Xauthority are inacessiveis.
These files are set free after a long time or when the NAS is restarted.

This cliente in a Services For Unix in one Windows 2000 functions without problems.

Client: SUN Solaris 8.
2 REPLIES 2
Monty Phillips
Trusted Contributor

Re: NAS9000/NFS CDE Login error

Hi Antonio,

Are you receiving any event IDs in the system and application logs on the 9000s server when this issue occurs?

Without any more info it is hard to say for sure what is happening, but do you have HP OpenView Storage Mirroring software installed on your 9000s?

I don't know how CDE works completely, but I believe that it creates hard links to the .TTauthority and .Xauthority files.

This, in combination with NFS mounting the home directories from the 9000s, can be an issue as OVSM does not support hard links. Hard links present problems as the OVSM driver cannot determine the true physical location of the data on the disk. Merely having the driver started (i.e. it is in the I/O stack) is sufficient for hard link issues to occur.

If this is your issue, you may see Event IDs such as 16395 logged in the applications log. It basically says "Dblhook detected a hard link for a file. The volume GUID and file ID are stored in the Data Window. This file will not be replicated." For more info, you can go to page 13-16 in the OVSM user guide.

If you are not using OVSM at all and do not plan to, the easiest resolution is to simply uninstall the OVSM software.

- Monty

Monty Phillips
Trusted Contributor

Re: NAS9000/NFS CDE Login error

Hi Antonio,

Just an FYI. We are looking into this further and I will post our final conclusion about this later. Stay tuned...

- Monty