4306 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Quick Restore NAS 1000s

SOLVED
Go to solution
Eduardo Rodriguez_4

Quick Restore NAS 1000s

I have attached a USB DVD-rom as the instructions for Quick Restore suggested, and load the quick DVD restore media, but the NAS it is not recognizing it.

What do you think could be happening
6 REPLIES 6
Kevin Harlan
Valued Contributor

The only time I have seen this not work is if the media itself is damaged or burned incorrectly. Are there scratches on the media? Do you have another QuickRestore DVD handy to try?

Also, did you get this DVD with the product? Or did someone burn it for you? (The only reason I ask is that I have also seen where some "home-burned" copies did not work.)
Eduardo Rodriguez_4

I have two original DVD media. One of them has a scratch on it, but the other one looks good.

Could be possible, that the problem resides that I'm using a USB DVD writer unit?
Kevin Harlan
Valued Contributor

Okay, that clarifies things a bit. The 1000s (and 1200s) do NOT support just any USB DVD drive.

(Some generic ones may work, others may not. There are issues with the DOS USB driver and the system BIOS which prevent some DVD drives from working.)

In the QuickSpecs, at:

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/11684_na/11684_na.PDF

In the "Options" section, "Optical Drives" subsection (on page 7 of 13), we list the DVD drives that we have tested and are known to work.

The HP USB DVD Writer dvd200e is supported, but the key point is the "Multibay USB Cradle" portion. This cradle has the proper USB connection and interaction with the USB driver and system BIOS. Therefore, any DVD drive that can be inserted into this cradle will work.

Other USB DVD drives *may* work. If they do, then great. But we have only tested and verified compatibility with the cradle and USB DVD writer that are listed in the QuickSpecs.

So if your DVD Writer is not a 200e, and/or if your DVD drive will not insert into that cradle, then this problem is a compatibility issue with your DVD drive.
Kevin Harlan
Valued Contributor

Eduardo Rodriguez_4

Basically, the DVD Drive unit I'm using is not on the list.

What confused me, is that I'm able to use any other DVD or cd (i.e. Windows 2000 Server Bootable CD), and it will recognize it.

Is any other method to restart the factory configuration for a NAS 1000s
Kevin Harlan
Valued Contributor
Solution

The Windows (and other) bootable CDs and DVDs have their own proprietary boot environments. This is why they work. (We did not have the luxury of writing our own proprietary boot environment.)

Our QuickRestore has a DOS USB driver. So any attempt to use a DVD drive that is not compatible with our USB driver and/or system BIOS will not work.

Unfortunately, there is no other way to restore the image. Although you can boot into the secondary OS image, the imaging tools do not work on Dynamic Disks (which is what the OS volumes are setup as on the 1000s -- for the software RAID to work).