1751920 Members
4906 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion

SnapShots on a HP StorageWorks All-in-One Storage Systems 1200

Jody Campbell
Occasional Contributor

SnapShots on a HP StorageWorks All-in-One Storage Systems 1200

Please can you explain how I can configure a snapshot on a shared folder and then restore it.

I have setup a folder in the asm it is taking a snapshot of that folder. Yet when I want to restore a previous snapshot, it does not give me the option to restore in windows explorer.
1 REPLY 1
Keith_112
Valued Contributor

Re: SnapShots on a HP StorageWorks All-in-One Storage Systems 1200

The snapshots you descibe appear to be "Client Accessible" snapshots. When the snapshot was taken, one of the parameters of the snapshot dictates how the snapshot is to be used. In this case, since the snapshot is of shared folders, the snapshot is set as "Client Accessible".

In "Client Accessible" snapshots, the only mechanism available to access the data in the snapshot is via the clients that access the share. This feature is called "Shadow Copies for Shared Folders". Clients accessing the share will be able to access the snapshots directly by looking at the properties of files and folders in the share. A tab will appear named "Previous Versions". The "Previous Versions" will allow the end user to directly manage the information in the snapshots for each individual file and folder within the share.

Since these snapshots are "Client Accessible", they cannot be used to "Revert" or "Restore" over the existing File Volume.