1753682 Members
5496 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: nas 1200s firmware upgrade

Joseph Tillman
Advisor

I only have BackupExec agent installed on it.
Joseph Tillman
Advisor

I gave up and placed an order for a 3TB HP ProLiant DL320s today.
Ulrick65
Advisor

Darn Joe...caved in to the dark side!
Raymond Pinkerton
Occasional Advisor

Ha, happens to the best of them.

Quick question and an update on my progress.

My 1200 is up and running and all is sweet, I've got about 1.3Tb in the RAID 5 array so thats quite good with the 4 x 500Gb. The thing about the unit that I don't like is the noise it makes.

It runs its fans almost flat out all the time, if it's sitting for a while they will slow a little bit but as soon as there is data movement onto the NAS the fans are back up at full speed. It's such a good indicator of processor load I can tell if a transfer has stopped just by the drop in noise.

Does anyone else have this problem? If though it maybe a firmware/BIOS problem but I've updated my unit to 6.4 and have downloaded the 6.6 update but not installed it yet.

I purchased a Philips Media Centre PC a while back and tried to upgrade the processor in that, technically it all worked but the cooling fans ran flat out all the time as well, it was so bad we could not hear the TV :)

If I dropped the processor back to a 2.4Ghz to you think that would help?

Has anyone else got this sort of problem? What noise levels do your boxes produce?

Cheers chaps, thanks again for all the tips. I would never have got my box running without your help.

Ray
Joseph Tillman
Advisor

I won't completely give up. With any luck the machine will be retired somewhere where I can have some fun with it.

The fans in ours are loud as heck as well. But I think that is just because it is a "server" and is normal. No need to make something quiet when it is in your datacenter.
Raymond Pinkerton
Occasional Advisor

Cheers Joseph,

I figured I'd have to live with it :) I can't complain I guess as the whole thing, allowing for drives and purchasing the DVD drive etc, has cost just over 330 pounds.

There had to be a trade off somewhere for cheap storage.

If you ever crack the Sil firmware upgrade please post back as I'd love to do mine.

Cheers

Ray

Niddu
Occasional Visitor

Good morning guys,

after years i want to reply on this post because i've there an HP NAS 1200s with 4x320gb disks but i can't let them work.

I've understood that disks in bays 0 and 1 are controlled by the Sil 0680A controller, while 2 and 3 are controlled by the onboard IDE controller.

And that's the reason why if I disable the controller from BIOS i cannot manage disks 0 and 1 but i can use and install windows 2003 std on disk 2 (or 3)

But i want to use also the first 2 disks!! but if i enable the Sil controller the system does not boot at all.

The question is: can you guide me in the procedure to install and let Windows boot with all the 4 disks present?

Many thanks to you all!

aquaff

Hi i have the same problem but i have 5 of these units and cannot get any of them to work, ive got the restore dvd but it reboots after checking disks.

Regards