Network Simulator
1753336 Members
4857 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Topology Config for 3 IRF clusters, 2 members in each IRF cluster, connected in Full Mesh

SOLVED
Go to solution
Andrew Pearce
Frequent Advisor

Topology Config for 3 IRF clusters, 2 members in each IRF cluster, connected in Full Mesh

Hi,
I thought I would share a topology that I use alot.

Firstly, this will only work on the windows version of the simulator.

It creates a total of six switches, which can be used to create three IRF clusters, each with two members (switches).
The three IRF clusters are configured in a full mesh, so it provides the ability to create and test layer 2 and layer technologies, for example ospf, IS-IS, BGP, RIP, static routes, MPLS, VPLS, MPLS-TE, EVI, FCoE, FC,spanning tree, the list is endless.

I have also attached a topology diagram, that I find useful to have to help me understand the topology ( a picture speaks a thousand word, so they say).

I have also attached a file that you can import directly into the simulator which will save you time, as it creates the IRF clusters and has a basic configuration on the switches so that you can telnet onto the switches, and get straight on with the job of learning the more advanced features of comware.

Note that you will need to unzip the file and then import the unzipped .hns file into the simulator. 

However, if you are new to comware then you may prefer to learn about creating IRF, by creating a cluster yourself.
The choice is yours.

Below is the text that you need to paste into the simulator if you want to do the basic configuration yourself, including building the IRF clusters.

I hope you find this useful

Andrew

Paste the text below into the simulator to create the topolgy in the attached diagram

#
device_id = 1
device_model = SIM2200
board = SIM2202
#
device_id = 2
device_model = SIM2200
board = SIM2202
#
device_id = 3
device_model = SIM2200
board = SIM2202
#
device_id = 4
device_model = SIM2200
board = SIM2202
#
device_id = 5
device_model = SIM2200
board = SIM2202
#
device_id = 6
device_model = SIM2200
board = SIM2202
#
#
# Create connections for IRF Ports
#
device 1 : interface 7 <---> device 2 : interface 7
device 1 : interface 8 <---> device 2 : interface 8
#
device 3 : interface 7 <---> device 4 : interface 7
device 3 : interface 8 <---> device 4 : interface 8
#
device 5 : interface 7 <---> device 6 : interface 7
device 5 : interface 8 <---> device 6 : interface 8
#
#
# Create connections for inter Switch Links
#
device 1 : interface 5 <---> device 3 : interface 5
device 2 : interface 5 <---> device 4 : interface 5
#
device 1 : interface 6 <---> device 5 : interface 5
device 2 : interface 6 <---> device 6 : interface 5
#
device 3 : interface 6 <---> device 5 : interface 6
device 4 : interface 6 <---> device 6 : interface 6
#
#
#
# Create links for Management Interfaces to Virtual Box
#
#
device 1 : interface 1 <---> host : "VirtualBox Host-Only Ethernet Adapter"
device 2 : interface 1 <---> host : "VirtualBox Host-Only Ethernet Adapter"
#
device 3 : interface 1 <---> host : "VirtualBox Host-Only Ethernet Adapter"
device 4 : interface 1 <---> host : "VirtualBox Host-Only Ethernet Adapter"
#
device 5 : interface 1 <---> host : "VirtualBox Host-Only Ethernet Adapter"
device 6 : interface 1 <---> host : "VirtualBox Host-Only Ethernet Adapter"
#

7 REPLIES 7
Jay_Flora
Frequent Advisor

Re: Topology Config for 3 IRF clusters, 2 members in each IRF cluster, connected in Full Mesh

Hi Andrew,

Thansk for sharing the topology. 

You have mentioned that this will work only on the Windows version. Why is that?

Thanks,

Jay

Andrew Pearce
Frequent Advisor

Jay,

Two reasons I stated it will only work on the windows platform.

1. Import file

I only tested the Windows version. It you confirm that if I export my topology/config from the windows based platform and someone imports the file on a linux based platform, and it will work.

I am happy for people to use my export file.

2. The template I shared in the text.

The template I shared has the correct syntax to create the links for the windows interface created by virtual box. I dont think the template has the correct name for the interfaces to connect to a host on Linux.

Again, happy to be corrected.

Andy

Jay_Flora
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for the reply Andy. I am unable to succesfully unzip the file you've attached. It says, unexpected end of archive.
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>I am unable to succesfully unzip the file you've attached. It says, unexpected end of archive.

I don't have any problems with Windows Explorer nor 7zip.
Andrew Pearce
Frequent Advisor

Attached is a verified version, that includes the topology diagram and the import file.

Hope this works, as the file exports ok using winzip.

Andrew Pearce
Frequent Advisor
Solution

Jay,

I have uploaded another zip file that includes both files (topology diagram and the file to import). The file size is correct.

I just hope this works, as I need to have a zip file, as the raw file is not a supported file format to upload otherwise.

Andy 

Andrew Pearce
Frequent Advisor

The quickest way to get the simulator up and running is by importing the HNS file in the attached zip file previously.