Re: 10gb cards on hp-ux 11.23

SOLVED
Go to solution
mhm
Advisor

10gb cards on hp-ux 11.23

Dears,

I have the following:

We decided to install 10gb cards on our servers seeking high throughput on the network connectivity. After the installation, we tested the lan cards by scp 1GB file from one server to another, it gave us about the 18MB/s-19MB/s, this performance didn't convince us at all. After some discussions with HP, we had edited the configuration file to change the multi-queue mode to 4-tuple hash based and the number of queues from 4 to 8. Now, the transfer rate is about 24MB/s-25MB/s.

What we have noticed that all the tests that we have done gave that exact results between the 1GB and 10GB.

We had also measure the throughput using netperf, it gets better but its varied alot, so you get 0.6-5Gb/s.

Shall we change anything related to the tcp/ip parameters? MTU size (enable jumbo frames)?

BR
Mohammad
13 REPLIES 13
Benoy Daniel
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Yes.. try with jumbo frames.. it should give better performance.
rick jones
Honored Contributor

Which 10Gb NIC?
Which servers?
What netperf options?
How many concurrent scp or netperf tests?

JumboFrames can help - it must be enabled on *both* sides. You might also look into enabling a larger "VMTU" which may help transmit performance.

Scp includes filesystem and crypto overheads - as such it is rather more than just a "network" test. Look for one or more of your CPUs "pegging" during the scp transfer. Actually, look for that in your netperf tests too - a single TCP connection cannot really make use of more than one, perhaps some of a second, core in the system.
there is no rest for the wicked yet the virtuous have no pillows
mhm
Advisor

Itanium2 Super-dome server ,
launch_netperf 50000 8 120,
The cards that used by HP, unfortunately, I don't know the vendor.

We used the scp as a simple test, just to test the cards usage from different perspectives. We don't know how the application team going to use this cards, we just want to ensure that everything is running well. In addition , the netperf gave a maximum of 5gb/s as a result which is as I think kind of slow results.
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

It could be important to know what card model is installed in which slot at which server model. Details please.
Even "Itanium2 Superdome" does not tell if this is a sx1000 or sx2000 based system - run "model" for details.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
mhm
Advisor

# model
ia64 hp superdome server SD64B

This is the information that shown up from the STM about the card:

Product ID: HP AD385-60001 PCI-X 10GbE SR Fiber Adapter
Vendor ID: 0x17d5 (S2IO Inc )
Device Status: 0x0230
Bit 5: 66 MHz Capable
Bit 9-10: DEVSEL timing 01 - medium
Subsystem Vendor ID: 0x103c
Subsystem ID: 0x1337
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

slot?

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
mhm
Advisor

266 MHz PCI-X PCI-X
rick jones
Honored Contributor

No idea what launch_netperf does - must be someone's wrapper around netperf. When testing 10GbE interfaces, I tend to use something along the lines of:

netperf -H -l 30 -- -s 1M -S 1M -m 64K

which will start a 30 second TCP_STREAM test with 1 MB socket buffers (MB == 1048576 B) and pass 64KB in each call to send().

I would then see what I get, while looking at the CPU utilization of all the CPUs individually, looking to see if one or more of them are pegged.

When I want to run multiple, concurrent netperf tests I follow things along the lines of:

http://www.netperf.org/svn/netperf2/tags/netperf-2.4.5/doc/netperf.html#Using-Netperf-to-Measure-Aggregate-Performance

Is the destination another Superdome or is it a different system entirely?
there is no rest for the wicked yet the virtuous have no pillows
mhm
Advisor

launch_netper is a script that will launch a netperf as a client while a server processes are running on the other side.

Please can you explain to me what pegged means?

It's another super dome.

Am asking about any related parameters that could help us in tuning the performance of the cards.