6035 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: 2nd network pci card on an rp5450 server

LDI_Keppel
Occasional Contributor

2nd network pci card on an rp5450 server

Hello all,
we have an old Server L2000-44 (rp5450) running with HPUX B11.00.
There are the standard IO cards installed
- A5191-60011 ( in slot 1 )
- A5191-60012 ( in slot 2 )

It is possible to install a 2nd card A5191-60011 (LAN/SCSI card) in a free slot?
Which slot is the best?
We will only use the network card to get the backup lan separated from user lan.
3 REPLIES 3
Mel Burslan
Honored Contributor

It has been quite a while since I touched an L-class server but I remember having multiple SCSI/LAN combo cards in some of those in the past. So, if my memory is still serving me okay, yes you can do more then one of those cards on the same chassis. But on the other hand, if it is only network interface is concerned and you are on the market to buy an additional card, you might save some money by shedding the SCSI part buying a NIC only card.

Slot-wise, it is not very important on L-Class servers. Yes, The PCI bus has some advantages if you place the card, logically, closer to the PCI bridge but the performance difference is not worth losing sleep over thinking about it. If you had an N-Class, I would suggest, placing the card on the opposite chassis compared to where the first card is, but it is mainly because left and right sides operate out of two different PCI controllers and less crowded the controller, better your performance is. On L-Class, not so much.

The fakt is, this is an old server and the system must be available from now 1 year.
The customer will not spend much mony for the last time of server use.
I get the LAN/SCSI card (A5191-60011) from an old unused server ( same server type as target server ). So we will have only to pay the installation.

This question was because I didn't found any documentation at the net regarding multiple installation and support of this card types. Only for other PCI cards.

Thanks

A5191 is the part number of the server, not the card (either A5191A or A5191B depending on model)

A5838A is the LAN/SCSI card that went in these systems... you can certainly have more than 1 (up to 8 I think), but they cannot go in slots 3 or 4 on the rp5450 (I think these were the old shared PCI slots).

HTH

DUncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo