Networking
1747990 Members
5185 Online
108756 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

3Com Networking Card Crashing Normal Mode on XP HELP!

aaron_74
Occasional Advisor

3Com Networking Card Crashing Normal Mode on XP HELP!

here are some of my stats
Compaq Deskpro EP/SB Series
System ROM Family : 686T2
System ROM Date : 02/08/99
Processor Stepping : 652
Networking Card : 3Com EtherLink XL 10/100 PCI For Complete PC Management NIC
Model No : 3C905C-TX
Operating System : Windows XP
Ok here's the problem...everytime i boot with the network card running in normal mode it loads fine but after 1-2 minutes it hangs..ctrl-alt-del doesn't work. when i boot in safe mode everything works fine i just have to put up with the resolution and use keyboard shortcuts and stick mouse keys. i tried installing the new drivers for the network card however nothing has changed. your thoughts would be much appreciated! thankyou!
11 REPLIES 11
Ron Kinner
Honored Contributor

Re: 3Com Networking Card Crashing Normal Mode on XP HELP!

Does it make a difference if the NIC is connected or not?

Do you have the RPC patch? Could be you have one of the worms of August. Do a Ctrl + Alt + Del right after it boots and select Task Manager then Processes. Click on CPU and it will sort the processes by CPU use. What is at the top? Normally it is System Idle tho there may be a few things which have to do with the boot process still running. Watch it for a while until it hangs and see what is at the top then. You might try running IPCONFIG and removing all non essential programs. See www.netsquirrel.com/msconfig for details.

I assume you are running the
3Com 3C90x Fast EtherLink XL/EtherLink XL NIC Drivers
version 5.44 A (14 Apr 03)
from the HP website?

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/files/deskpro/us/download/17919.html

Ron
aaron_74
Occasional Advisor

yeah when i take out the NIC everything boots fine..so it's obviously the card. I'm trying to figure out how to assign the same irq it has for bios coz that may be the reason it's freezing aswell
Ron Kinner
Honored Contributor

Actually I meant just unplug the cable.

Used to be on 3com cards you had to run the floppy that came with them and then you could turn off plug and play and adjust memory locations, however, it seems unlikely that this would be necessary with a PCI card. If you remove the device via the Device Manager and reboot it does it find it OK and install a driver or does it ask you for one?

Have you tried the first driver on this page:

http://www.3com.com/products/en_US/result.jsp?selected=5&sort=effdt&sku=3C905C-TX-M&order=desc

Ron
aaron_74
Occasional Advisor

could it be the irq? i noticed on the sys config panel that my video card was set to the same irq as the networking card? could this be what's freezing it? and yeah i tried that first one coz it sounded like that's what the problem was but alas..nothing
aaron_74
Occasional Advisor

and btw it still freezes with the cable out and the card still in
Ron Kinner
Honored Contributor

PCI uses the same IRQ for everything so that's not it. If you go into Device Manager and look at the network driver it should tell you if it sees a conflict. If not then that's not it. Do you have the SP1 service pack?

Did you check the task manager?

Ron
aaron_74
Occasional Advisor

yeah i have SP1 and i guess it's not the irq then...by the time you take your next reply i'll tell you if it's a worm or not
aaron_74
Occasional Advisor

nope everything is clean
aaron_74
Occasional Advisor

and yes i checked the task manager and msconfig...the only thing that looked out of the ordinary was two checked files which i didn't know whether to remove or not they are

mobsync
dumprep 0 -k

not sure if these are a problem or not?