New Discussion юеВ

Re: APA Configuration

SOLVED
Go to solution
Prasanth Thomas
Valued Contributor

Hi Umesh,

Please find the attached document for APA configuration which i have prepared.

Regards,
Prasanth Thomas.
IT Response
Esteemed Contributor
Solution

Hi Umesh,

How you configure Lan Monitor can depend on what version of HP-Ux you are using. In 11.31, you can use System Management Homepage for lan monitor. Prior versions require manual configuration using :

lanqueryconf
lancheckconf
lanapplyconf

... commands.

But, you have a different issue. The IP addresses you currently have assigned are not on the same subnet, according to your netmask. If you cannot linkloop from lan4 to lan8, ( linkloop -i 4 ) , then you cannot use lan monitor for them. You need an unused lan card to use as standby for each of your current cards.

You asked about FEC_AUTO. This is used for a load balancing configuration, uses Cisco protocol called "PAgP", and requires a cooperating configuration on the switch side. A load balancing configuration is also redundant. Other types of load balancing use LACP or MANUAL modes, but still require matching configuration on the switch side.

Lan Monitor, on the other hand, requires no special configuration on the switch, but the primary and standby cards do have to be connected to the same subnet.
UMESH KUMAR_2
Occasional Advisor

Many thanks for the reply. That clarifies my concerns almost. My OS version is 11.11 and the IP's are in same subnet. One question is if we configure in 'MANUAL" mode, can we consider it will work as both load balancing and failover?

My basic aim is to put on the Failover mode. So pls suggest the easiest method to configure the Failover mode.
Johnson Punniyalingam
Honored Contributor

>>One question is if we configure in 'MANUAL" mode, can we consider it will work as both load balancing and failover?<<

Lan Port Aggregation is the best suite for "load balancing & fail over"

>>My basic aim is to put on the Failover mode.<<

also please consider from "Network Switch" point of view "failover" so that you avoid all the Single point of failures.
Problems are common to all, but attitude makes the difference
UMESH KUMAR_2
Occasional Advisor

Johnson, you mean to say that we should check necessary settings in the switch side also for the failover. If so what are they ?
Johnson Punniyalingam
Honored Contributor

>>you mean to say that we should check necessary settings in the switch side also for the failover. If so what are they ?<<

i meant to say "you also consider having redundancy from "Network switch"

>>If so what are they ?<<<<

"switch 1 - switch 2" backup each other
Problems are common to all, but attitude makes the difference