Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

APA Configuration

SOLVED
Go to solution
UMESH KUMAR_2
Occasional Advisor

APA Configuration

Hi,

I need help for configuring the APA.

INTERFACE_NAME[4]=lan4
IP_ADDRESS[4]=10.174.0.104
SUBNET_MASK[4]=255.255.255.240
BROADCAST_ADDRESS[4]=10.174.0.255
INTERFACE_STATE[4]=up

INTERFACE_NAME[8]=lan8
IP_ADDRESS[8]=10.174.0.120
SUBNET_MASK[8]=255.255.255.240
BROADCAST_ADDRESS[8]=10.174.0.255
INTERFACE_STATE[8]=up

Above are my lan cards which are planned for aggregation. The purpose is for redundancy ( no interruption to the network evenif one card fails). I want to know, whether we need to remove the ip's assigned to both the cards and then assign different ip to the aggregated port(lan900).

And how about LAN MONITORING ? Do we need to configure that also for the failover mode ?

Awaiting for the reply. Thanks in Advance.
15 REPLIES
Jupinder Bedi
Respected Contributor

Re: APA Configuration

yes , you have to remove these ip from these interfaces and put the cards in the aggregration. Lan monitoring is not compulsury . if you will simply configure the APA it will also work.
All things excellent are as difficult as they are rare
UMESH KUMAR_2
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for the reply. Can you pls give the configuration parameters for /etc/rc.config.d/hp_apaportconf, /etc/rc.config.d/hp_apaconf and /etc/rc.config.d/netconf.

My IP for the aggregation is 10.174.0.104
UMESH KUMAR_2
Occasional Advisor

Is it possible to configure Both Load Balancing and Fail Over at a time. If so, pls send the procedure
Sachin Kumbla
Frequent Advisor

Hi

Both Load balacing & Failback caanot be implemented together.

Go for failback method i.e. hot standby mode.
You have activate the mode.
you can easily configure it through sam.

Regds.,
Sachin Kumbla
R.K. #
Honored Contributor

Hi Umesh,

You can follow the attached procedure.

Regds..
Don't fix that what ain't broke
R.K. #
Honored Contributor

Sorry, forgot to attach.

**No points for above thread.
UMESH KUMAR_2
Occasional Advisor

Hi RK,

Thanks for your reply. So If I want to configure APA for fail over, could you pls confirm that the following will be the procedure.

edit /etc/rc.config.d/hp_apaportconf

HP_APAPORT_INTERFACE_NAME[0]=lan1
HP_APAPORT_CONFIG_MODE[0]=LAN_MONITOR
HP_APAPORT_INTERFACE_NAME[1]=lan2
HP_APAPORT_CONFIG_MODE[1]=LAN_MONITOR

and assign permanent IP address to lan900 in /etc/rc.config.d/netconf.

If this is the case, then what should be the entry in /etc/rc.config.d/hp_apaconf file ?

Thanks in Advance
R.K. #
Honored Contributor

I guess, it should be something like

----
HP_APA_START_LA_PPA=900
HP_APA_DEFAULT_PORT_MODE=MANUAL
----

Rest looks ok.
UMESH KUMAR_2
Occasional Advisor

Fine. Then whats the difference in giving the mode as Manual or FEC_AUTO
Prasanth Thomas
Valued Contributor

Hi Umesh,

Please find the attached document for APA configuration which i have prepared.

Regards,
Prasanth Thomas.
IT Response
Esteemed Contributor
Solution

Hi Umesh,

How you configure Lan Monitor can depend on what version of HP-Ux you are using. In 11.31, you can use System Management Homepage for lan monitor. Prior versions require manual configuration using :

lanqueryconf
lancheckconf
lanapplyconf

... commands.

But, you have a different issue. The IP addresses you currently have assigned are not on the same subnet, according to your netmask. If you cannot linkloop from lan4 to lan8, ( linkloop -i 4 ) , then you cannot use lan monitor for them. You need an unused lan card to use as standby for each of your current cards.

You asked about FEC_AUTO. This is used for a load balancing configuration, uses Cisco protocol called "PAgP", and requires a cooperating configuration on the switch side. A load balancing configuration is also redundant. Other types of load balancing use LACP or MANUAL modes, but still require matching configuration on the switch side.

Lan Monitor, on the other hand, requires no special configuration on the switch, but the primary and standby cards do have to be connected to the same subnet.
UMESH KUMAR_2
Occasional Advisor

Many thanks for the reply. That clarifies my concerns almost. My OS version is 11.11 and the IP's are in same subnet. One question is if we configure in 'MANUAL" mode, can we consider it will work as both load balancing and failover?

My basic aim is to put on the Failover mode. So pls suggest the easiest method to configure the Failover mode.
Johnson Punniyalingam
Honored Contributor

>>One question is if we configure in 'MANUAL" mode, can we consider it will work as both load balancing and failover?<<

Lan Port Aggregation is the best suite for "load balancing & fail over"

>>My basic aim is to put on the Failover mode.<<

also please consider from "Network Switch" point of view "failover" so that you avoid all the Single point of failures.
Problems are common to all, but attitude makes the difference
UMESH KUMAR_2
Occasional Advisor

Johnson, you mean to say that we should check necessary settings in the switch side also for the failover. If so what are they ?
Johnson Punniyalingam
Honored Contributor

>>you mean to say that we should check necessary settings in the switch side also for the failover. If so what are they ?<<

i meant to say "you also consider having redundancy from "Network switch"

>>If so what are they ?<<<<

"switch 1 - switch 2" backup each other
Problems are common to all, but attitude makes the difference