UniRock
Regular Advisor

APA modes

Hello All..

In Auto Port Aggregation
load balance : multiple NICs balance load
failover mode : one NIC will work at a time

Is this correct?
Is there any OTHER difference between "load balance" & "failover mode" in APA apart from what the names suggest?

Thanks
9 REPLIES
Kapil Jha
Honored Contributor

Re: APA modes

Yes you are correct.
in aggregation if u have 4 NICs then all 4 NIC balance the load.
and in failover one NIC would be working at a time and other would take up if first goes down.

http://docs.hp.com/en/J4240-90046/J4240-90046.pdf
Chapter 1 has information in details :)

BR,
Kapil+
I am in this small bowl, I wane see the real world......
Jupinder Bedi
Respected Contributor

Yes , you are 100% correct . This is the only difference.
All things excellent are as difficult as they are rare
UniRock
Regular Advisor

Thanks for your replies.

Suppose I have configured a node in "load balance mode" with 2 NIC. One fails, so only one will be working?
If this is the case, then this type of policy will be serving both functionalities (balance + failover).

Hence, can we come to conclusion that "load balance mode" is ALWAYS better and preffered/recommended ??
Jupinder Bedi
Respected Contributor

Ye , you are again right , if you will configure as a load balance and one of the network card gets failed than another card will take care . mostly we use failover technique if we have 4 nic cards . pair of 2 n/w cards cards with act as load balance and than 2+2 will act as failover
All things excellent are as difficult as they are rare
Horia Chirculescu
Honored Contributor

Hello,

From APA Admin's guide,

"HP APA link aggregates can migrate the network traffic from a failed physical link in the aggregate to the remaining operational links in the aggregate"

I believe this explain this situation.

Best regards,
Horia.
Best regards from Romania,
Horia.
UniRock
Regular Advisor

Thanks again for your replies.

Few more queries.
1. If I have 2 NIC cards, should I go with load balance only?
2. Is Link Aggregate same term used for Load Balanacing??
3. What is Lan Monitor?
rick jones
Honored Contributor

Lest there be any confusion - "balance the load" will balance the *outbound* traffic based on the packet scheduling algorithm you select. And any one "flow" will only travel over a single link in the aggregate. What constitutes a "flow" will depend on the packet scheduling algorithm you select - one defines a flow as a source/destination MAC (ethernet) address pair, one defines it as a source/destination IP address pair, a third defines it as the four-tuple of source/destination IP plus source/destination port number.

Further, *inbound* trafic balancing will be a function of the _switch_ and the choices made there.
there is no rest for the wicked yet the virtuous have no pillows
UniRock
Regular Advisor

Hi All,

Some questions still unanswered:

1. What is Link Aggregate? Is it same term for Load Balancing?

2. What is Lan Monitor?

I tried looking around but still confused.
rick jones
Honored Contributor
Solution

A link aggregate is a collection of two or more links aggregated together into a single logical interface. In other contexts you will hear it called a trunk, or a bond, or a team.

LAN Monitor is an active/standby mode in APA whereby one has both active and inactive (standby) links and if the active link(s) fail traffic is shifted to the standby links.
there is no rest for the wicked yet the virtuous have no pillows