Networking
1752402 Members
5650 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

After vista update for ie7(Internet Explorer 7 Windows Vista (KB939653)) all browsers stop working

GeorgeP

After vista update for ie7(Internet Explorer 7 Windows Vista (KB939653)) all browsers stop working

hi there!
i'm working on hp pavillion 6356ea notebook system with vista home edition!after an importand update of windows: "Internet Explorer 7 Windows Vista (KB939653)"
my ie7 didn't open any web page. it was like i had no connection to the net (which i tested and was working). i tried to remove the update and ie7 came back to normal but all the other browsers not! of course vista keep asking me about the update...
can anyone come up with a solution!?
6 REPLIES 6
Igor Karasik
Honored Contributor

Re: After vista update for ie7(Internet Explorer 7 Windows Vista (KB939653)) all browsers stop working

Which antivirus/firewall you use ?

Generally speaking you need to "unblock" the new iexplore.exe in Symantec/ZoneAlarm/MCAfee?.... or whatever
3rd party antivirus/firewall software

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/939653
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942818
Marco A.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: After vista update for ie7(Internet Explorer 7 Windows Vista (KB939653)) all browsers stop working

Hello George,

Independently if you have or not firewall/AV/Antispy ...bla bla..., this patch is generating a lot of errors and actually is not helpful.

What I recommend you is .:

under Control Panel->Programs and Features Installed Updates
Deinstall the Security Update KB939653

After restarting Windows IE7 will start to work.

Best regards,

Marco
Just unplug and plug in again ....
Kevin Kilcollins

Unfortunately I am experiencing the same problem with a student's laptop. I have removed the update in question and IE functions again, but Firefox continues to bring up the page "Cannot connect". I also noticed that then antivirus that is installed cannot update. I have tried disabling the Vista firewall and still nothing. I added Firefox and the antivirus as exceptions in the firewall, and still nothing. I'm stumped. I don't have any clue where to go from here.
nd037

I also had this problem. After an update, internet explorer wouldn't work. A friend told me to modify my firewall settings, but my firewall was turned off & IE still didn't work. After uninstalling the latest update, the computer noticed that i was missing some other updates & asked if i wanted to reinstall them. I DEselected the IE update but it installed anyway! Then what I had to do was "system restore" to before the latest update, and disable all future updates. So now I can't get other updates without downloadign the IE one (which will mess up IE). so my IE now works .. but i'm afraid my computer may be at risk because I dont get the other updates.
SunnyDD

I had the same problem and finally had to do a system restore to the day before the Windows update. As soon as I did that, IE and Firefox started working.

The next day, Windows update ran, and I didn't have internet connections. I restored to the time before the update, and I now have internet connectivity.

I have HP Pavilion dv6736nr notebook. Maybe there is a conflict with the drivers and the latest Vista update?

At any rate, I've about had it with Vista. Is there any information in this forum about downgrading to XP? Vista just is not ready for prime time yet.
Ceejay Jones

Same problem here. Whichever of the 3 browsers I use (Firefox, Safari, IE) will work for a few minutes; approx a couple of page loads, then just stop working. Once that happens, it doesn't matter if I open a different one and try, they all behave the same - dead. Everything else that is internet driven is fine, though... Skype, email, etc. I have to restart the computer to get a few more minutes of browser use before the whole cycle starts again.

I tried to use restore to go back to before the update, and it stepped through the process only to inform me that it "failed" and it also removed all previous restore points, leaving me with no options to go back in time.
I even tried uninstalling each of the updates, and found that it didn't really fix anything.

I am pretty ticked about microsoft turning my laptop into a thousand dollar paperweight.

I would love it if someone can figure out how to fix this.