108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Anonymous FTP 11i-v3

SOLVED
Go to solution
john guardian
Super Advisor

Anonymous FTP 11i-v3

For anonymous ftp, isn't the default login/pwd anon/anon?

Just asking since I don't use it (and have not since way back in HP-UX 9), but one of the admins asked and I didn't have a good answer for her...

Thx.
6 REPLIES 6
Michal Kapalka (mikap)
Honored Contributor
Solution

hi,

it could be :

login : anonymous

pass : email_adress ( e-mail_account@example.foo.bar )

mikap
john guardian
Super Advisor

Good input.

All this presumes that the ftpd line item is not commented out in the services file, right?

I don't believe the std install of 11.31 (or any version for that matter) would start it outside of inetd by default, IE: in a run command rc boot script?
sangilak
Trusted Contributor

Hi,

Just in case you want to show the admins an "official" document of what mikap already said:

"Anonymous ftp allows a user without a login on your host to transfer files to and from a public directory. A user types the ftp command to connect to your host and types anonymous or ftp as a login name. The user can type any string of characters as a password. (By convention, the password is the host name of the user's host). The anonymous user is then given access only to user ftp's home directory, usually called /home/ftp."

Source: http://docs.hp.com/en/B2355-90110/ch02s08.html

sangilak
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

For people who can't spell anonymous, I've just used "ftp" and as mikap said, my email address.
john guardian
Super Advisor

The lack of spelling ability is why I originally asked about anon... I seem to remember seeing that once, somewhere a long time ago. :=}

Thx.
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

When I found that ftp and ftp worked as login and password on every ftp version I've tried, I never looked back. Some ftp variants will log the anonymous password for record keeping but unless the ftp server requires an email address, I just type ftp again.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin