Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems - Please Update Your Bookmarks
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
If you have bookmarked forums or discussion boards in Servers and Operating Systems, we suggest you check and update them as needed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anonymous FTP 11i-v3

SOLVED
Go to solution
john guardian
Super Advisor

Anonymous FTP 11i-v3

For anonymous ftp, isn't the default login/pwd anon/anon?

Just asking since I don't use it (and have not since way back in HP-UX 9), but one of the admins asked and I didn't have a good answer for her...

Thx.
6 REPLIES
Michal Kapalka (mikap)
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Anonymous FTP 11i-v3

hi,

it could be :

login : anonymous

pass : email_adress ( e-mail_account@example.foo.bar )

mikap
john guardian
Super Advisor

Good input.

All this presumes that the ftpd line item is not commented out in the services file, right?

I don't believe the std install of 11.31 (or any version for that matter) would start it outside of inetd by default, IE: in a run command rc boot script?
sangilak
Trusted Contributor

Hi,

Just in case you want to show the admins an "official" document of what mikap already said:

"Anonymous ftp allows a user without a login on your host to transfer files to and from a public directory. A user types the ftp command to connect to your host and types anonymous or ftp as a login name. The user can type any string of characters as a password. (By convention, the password is the host name of the user's host). The anonymous user is then given access only to user ftp's home directory, usually called /home/ftp."

Source: http://docs.hp.com/en/B2355-90110/ch02s08.html

sangilak
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

For people who can't spell anonymous, I've just used "ftp" and as mikap said, my email address.
john guardian
Super Advisor

The lack of spelling ability is why I originally asked about anon... I seem to remember seeing that once, somewhere a long time ago. :=}

Thx.
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

When I found that ftp and ftp worked as login and password on every ftp version I've tried, I never looked back. Some ftp variants will log the anonymous password for record keeping but unless the ftp server requires an email address, I just type ftp again.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin